Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card for Dell Dim 2400

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Well, I have a dell dimension 2400. I play games like Counter-Strike: source, Garry's Mod, and other steam games.
I have the stock graphics card, which sucks. I also only have half a gig of ram. I should be getting more ram soon, but I dont know anything about graphics cards. I need some help. Garry's mods (it is a half life 2 mod that has become so big it is now a game in itself) background goes black at the title screen and there is the wierd pattern of lines. I believe it its the graphics card so this is what encouraged me to ask for help. Thanks ahead of time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

Well, in order to really help you out, we have to find out your PSU and your mobo. Depending on how much of a resource hog Garry's Mod is, it may make a little to large difference in your gaming experience.

Also, how old is this computer?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

Torn05,

Sounds to me like the Dimension is about 4 to 5 years old, I had one at one time. I know they have mainly PCI slots unless your the lucky one that got an AGP slot.

You have limited options, but I recommend a card with around 256MB of DDR2. If you do have that AGP slot, a good 512MB GDDR3 is easy to find!

AGP= BROWN slot (NOT Black)

PCI= WHITE slot.

Look at brands that carry their own chipsets (i.e. NVIDIA, ATI) for better results.

Thanks

-RTCTech1

Edited by RTCTech1, 23 September 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

I don't think the 2400s had an AGP slot, but it wouldn't hurt to look. I found a few PCI cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

What you get depends on budget. Main thing is to avoid the low end 64bit memory interfaces.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Thank you all very much! I will look into checking out the slots.

#6 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

Well, in order to really help you out, we have to find out your PSU and your mobo. Depending on how much of a resource hog Garry's Mod is, it may make a little to large difference in your gaming experience.

Also, how old is this computer?

1. I feel stupid for saying this but what's a PCU?
2. I will try to check my motherboard.
3. Garry's Mod hogs a nice(big) amount of resources.
4. I got it in 2005.

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

PSU= Power Supply Unit.
Your computer is 4 years old, so most likely you will have a ~200 W PSU. There aren't many cards out there today that will actually support a 200 W PSU, but Im sure you can find a 256 MB DDR2 Graphics Card. I think some of the 5xxx series and 4xxx series may work for you, and perhaps lower end 6xxx may work. (That's NVIDIA wise.) If your going to go ATI, maybe 2xxx?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users