Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help restoring!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 awherry1

awherry1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I have an hp 2133 mini and when i bought it my SUSE wasn't working so a friend of mine put on Ubuntu instead which has been working fine but i just got a new laptop and don't need the mini anymore and i'm clueless with linux but want to know how to restore it to how it was when i first bought (no passwords, etc.) it so i can hopefully sell it? help please? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

You could delete all of your personal files and then run BleachBit to wipe the free space. That would leave an OS
without having to reinstall and downloading and installing all of the updates.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
Here are some links to check out for those interested. This is the first program I have seen
that works similar to Ccleaner in Ubuntu.
QUOTE: BleachBit quickly frees disk space, removes hidden junk, and easily guards your privacy. Erase cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, remove unused localizations, shred logs, and delete temporary files. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean over 50 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Adobe Reader, APT, and more.

Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster.

How to install BleachBit in Ubuntu:
http://www.howtoforge.com/delete-unnecessa...-on-ubuntu-9.04

How to rename your computer in Ubuntu:

1. From your toolbar, select System ->Administration -> Networknetwork
2. Select the General tab.
3. If you are not logged in as Root, select Unlock.
4. A window will open, asking you to verify you have permission to access this part of the system. Type your password into the textbox, and click Authenticate.Screenshot-Network Settings
5. Type your desired computer name in the text box labeled Host Name.
6. Click Close

Restart your system to ensure the changes take effect.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users