Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs - nothing works, no error message

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eirik

eirik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi.

I've been running windows xp sp3 on my home computer for over a year now, so it's slowly filling up, but never had any problems until recently.

All of a sudden my computer has started to hang; mouse and keyboard does not work anymore, everything just stops, and it stays frozen until I manually hit the reset button. Then, everything seems normal again, until all of a sudden, after two seconds of welcome screen or a whole evening of normal computing, it freezes again.

Any tips on where to look and to repair? .. Is there an error log I can pull out of the computer somewhere to see what's going on?

Let me know what kind of info you need about my computer and I'll post it.

Cheers,

Eirik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

First guess would be possible overheating. It normally doesn't generate a warning or error message...the system just stops or freezes because the heat level exceeds (or approaches) the max the system can safely operate under.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

You can always check your CPU temperature by going into the BIOS, you can check to see if all fans installed are functioning properly.

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Louis

#3 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the links,

I'll definitely give it a clean!

Any tips on where to search for system error logs? Are there something logged by Windows, or can I get some information scanning my computer with software?

Cheers,

Eirik

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

Any tips on where to search for system error logs? Are there something logged by Windows,
Cheers,

Eirik

Take a look here: How To Use the Event Viewer Applet

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

thanks.

I checked the event log.

Unfortunately, there is never anything logged from when the computer hangs. There is however, 1 warning and two errors logged at every boot.

Warning: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001D60808DE7. The IP address being used is 169.254.78.116.

Error 1: 7000 - The Realtek EAPPkt Protocol service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error 2: 7001 - The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

One time after reboot (this was only one out of maybe 25 reboots) the attached error came.

---

I still don't understand how the computer can just hang? .. It just freezes, nothing happens, and the screen just stays the same... it stays with the same frozen image until I reboot ... ?

-e

Attached Files

• Attached File  feil.jpg   52.99KB   11 downloads

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Looks to me as if your audio drivers need to be removed...and then reinstalled.

Also appears that your network setup needs to be done again, IMO.

Louis

#7 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

ok.

I just downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS, so I will do that.

Could that explain my troubles though?

I find it so weird that the computer can just stop functioning, show the same image on the screen and not crash. No bluescreen, no automatic reboot, no error message !?!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

I think of it this way...a crash is something that the system can handle/recognize...because the result is usually an error message.

OTOH, a freeze is akin to the proverbial "screeching halt", it's something unexpected, incapable of being recognized or dealt with. The system needs help but it cannot point the way.

Louis

#9 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

Thanks Hamluis,

that was a good definition.

Something is definitely wrong in my system, but I really don't know what. I guess I also need help and to be pointed in the right direction.

My original question was really if there are methods with which I can detect what is wrong with my system and how I can fix it?

Are there any scanners/tools I can run that will give me an indication of what is wrong?

As for the symptoms, it is the random freeze and that sometimes when I turn on the computer my screen just stays black. After I reboot it usually starts normally again...

Cheers,

Eirik

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:10 AM

In the absence of error messages (which are generally generated when the O/S has problems)...freezing can be caused by any number of things.

As previously stated...my first suspect would be overheating.

If that suspect cannot be proven guilty, I would have to move on to something that is hardware-related. That can be drivers (previously discussed) or system components (inadequate or failing).

System manufacturer and model?

<<Are there any scanners/tools I can run that will give me an indication of what is wrong?>>

There are diagnostics which can be run for the RAM and the hard drive components. Aside from these, Windows itself (IMO) is the best diagnostic tool regarding system performance/problems.

Hardware components which can cause freezing include obvious things such as the power supply, CMOS battery (although this normally results in varied error messages), CPU/heatsink, hard drive, motherboard, and RAM. If the system is a laptop, this is compounded by the fact that laptops don't generally don't allow for troubleshooting/replacement of individual components.

I don't know about anyone else...but troubleshooting computer issues in my world...is often a systematic elimination of possible causes, rather than than a dramatic "Aha, that's the problem."

And...there's always the possibility that the O/S has become so damaged that it cannot be counted upon to cry for help. This is one of the main reasons, IMO, that persons who think that they have "removed" malware problems...later find that their systems will not subsequently perform as they should. When this is the case, a repair install of XP may solve the problems...a clean install of XP absolves the O/S from blame.

Louis

#11 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi Louis.

I have now run all virus scans, adaware, spybot, ccleaner, etc... I have updated graphics card drivers, sound card drivers and network drivers. I cleaned my computer as you suggested. Everything should be in order.

I installed the Pc probe II software from Asus, since I have an Asus P5K-E motherboard. And it is giving me a warning for the mobo temperature. It says 47 degrees. Now, My computer has been running without a problem for the last 2 years, it is only in the last month I had any problems with it (so maybe it is time for a fresh install?), but since it was always running ok, I never checked what this motherboard temperature was before. Maybe it was always 46-47 degrees? .. Anyway, is this a problem? Is it very high? Do the other temperatures seem ok? .. From the RPM readings it at least looks as if the cpu and chassis fans are running ok.

By the way I have not overclocked my system.

Cheers,

Eirik

Attached Files

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

What processor/CPU is installed?

Each CPU can potentially have a different operating temperature range, but I have never seen a processor where the max was less than 60 degrees Celsius.

You can look up the max operating temperature for your processor by just using Google or just go to the Intel or AMD website and find it there.

IMO, there is no reason that a system should be be emitting warnings at 47 degrees Celsius.

Louis

#13 eirik

eirik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

I've got a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ..

The normal operating CPU temperature in my system is normally around 55 degrees. The Motherboard temperature lies around 45 degrees. But from ASUS the threshold is set to 45 degrees for the MB temperature, maybe this is a bit low?
I'll just make it clear though, that the threshold is set in the Asus Pc Probe program that I just installed, which just monitors the system. This could therefore not be the cause of my system freezes...

So I can conclude that with MB temperatures of 45 degrees and CPU of around 55-60 degrees, overheating is probably not the cause of my problems?

Cheers,

Eirik

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

You can conclude...that you ought to look up the specs for your processor...and see what Intel says the normal operating temperature range or the max operating temperature range...should be.

As for the Asus program Probe...I myself don't find it useful and don't employ it on my system with an Asus board. If I want to monitor the CPU temperature, I can just check it in the BIOS. I don't concern myself with other temperatures, the CPU temperature is the one I feel is most important if I feel the need to monitor.

Louis

#15 gShawn

gShawn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've been running windows xp sp3 on my home computer for over a year now, so it's slowly filling up, but never had any problems until recently.

All of a sudden my computer has started to hang; mouse and keyboard does not work anymore, everything just stops, and it stays frozen until I manually hit the reset button. Then, everything seems normal again, until all of a sudden, after two seconds of welcome screen or a whole evening of normal computing, it freezes again.

Any tips on where to look and to repair? .. Is there an error log I can pull out of the computer somewhere to see what's going on?

Erik,

I am having a similar problem with the error code Event ID: 7000 "The Realtek EAPPkt Protocol service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. "

Have you recently installed an Alfa wifi modem or upgraded its driver?

- Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users