Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps shutting down!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevieg1969

stevieg1969

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi,
My computer, (Dell Inspiron 5100 XP Home sp3) keeps shutting down, if I try to run a scan (AVG) it shuts down. Sometimes it just shuts down in the middle of doing somthing. I thought I may be having HDD probs, so I formated the HDD reloaded Windows, and still had the same probs.
Okay, well I must be having HDD probs, installed new HDD, S.O.S.
My question is, are there any good software programs out there, that can analyze my computer and tell me whats up?
I've used hijack this, and removed a few things highlighted in red. Still S.O.S.
I supect I had a major virus, can a virus stay in your computer even after installing a new HDD? and if so how can I get rid of it, when it shuts down during a virus scan? Not just AVG, but any virus removal program I use, s&d, Avast, every online free virus scan.
Thank you for your help,
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

I supect I had a major virus, can a virus stay in your computer even after installing a new HDD?

No but if you saved your documents, settings, pictures or music and reinstalled them, you can get reinfected that way

Edited by garmanma, 22 September 2009 - 01:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hardware problems - such as bad RAM, overheating, bad power supply- can cause a computer to automatically shut down and/or restart. Run a live Linux CD (like Knoppix available here) for a while. If the shut-downs stop, the Windows partition is likely still infected.

#4 stevieg1969

stevieg1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thank you for your responses.
I find it strange, that every time I try to run a virus scan, it shuts down in the middle of it. Last one was Terminator, got to about 60%, and shut down. Does the same thing with all virus scans I've run. This is really wierd.
How can I check my computer for bad hardware? I've run chkdsk, seems okay.
I tried to DL Knoppix, too complicated for me. I guess I could get a live disk.
Thank you again,
Steve

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

every time I try to run a virus scan, it shuts down in the middle of it

Sounds like the new rootkit that's making the rounds
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

You have a CPU over-heating problem, it would seem most likely. Use something like one of the following applications to monitor your CPU temperature while using the computer ....

Speedfan
http://majorgeeks.com/SpeedFan_d337.html

Motherboard Monitor
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Everest
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
-----------------

You may also download and run toast.exe as a quick test of over-heating ...
http://majorgeeks.com/Toast_d867.html

Can you run this for 20 minutes without a problem? What temperatures are indicated for the CPU while running toast.exe for 20 minutes?
--------------

FYI ... RE: the link you seem to be making to antivirus scans and the shutting down of your system, please have a look at the following thread on the AVG Free Forums, as an example ...
http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?se...ow&id=14141
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 stevieg1969

stevieg1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi again, Thank you for your responses. I'm sorry there's so much time between my posts, but I've been spending hours, days even trying to get rid of this problem.
I think it may be that rootkit thing. I ran RootkitRevealer but naturally it shut down during the process.
Any suggestions will be appriciated.
Thanks again,
Steve
PS here is a screen shot of my event viewer. Note the red X's at the applications and system.
When I click on them, I get a window saying that the file is corrupt.

Attached Files

Edited by stevieg1969, 25 September 2009 - 12:51 PM.

#8 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Have you tired the suggested hardware diagnostics? This will save you TONS of time.

Before any more scans, run Prime95 ( http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html ) in safe mode to rule out overheating/ hardware issues.

Also, if you want, try running your scans in Safe Mode. You should have more luck there (unless its a really bad rootkit)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users