Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a virus, trojan or rootkit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Ferg8888

Ferg8888

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

So, I read a few of the threads here and I think you guys can help. I am not a novice, but made a very bad choice of downloading a file from an unknown website and ran it. Nothing seemed to happen, but afterward AVG Free crashes when I run a scan, so does Avast, Antivir, Spybot and Malware bytes. This happens in Safe mode as well. This is my work computer and I am the most computer literate person here, we have no IT department. I really can't afford to wipe the machine.

I downloaded AVG Rootkit free and ran the scan, it listed Win32k.sys, but warned me before fixing them, so I chose to wait and seek advice from this forum.

I have to continue using this computer for work, but try to limit what I do.

Please advise.

Also, firefox and internet explorer will not start. For Firefox the process starts and then quits and IE starts and just freezes. I am currently using Opera to log on to this forum.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Dell Optiplex GX745
Intel Core2 6400 @2.13GHz
2GB RAM

************************************************************************************
NOTE: I seem to have fixed this problem on my own. I read up on Combofix, which did not seem to work for me in the past,
I disabled all antivirus and antispyware programs (ie Spybot resident and AVG resident) and ran Combofix,
it ran it's scans, rebooted, installed the MS recovery thing ran the scans again, and it looks as though everything
is fixed. Firefox works again and both Spybot and AVG will scan. I plan on scanning in safe mode after work
when I can dedicate the time, but thanks for all the info on this site and with the detailed help you've given others,
I believe I was able to work through my issues.

Edited by Ferg8888, 22 September 2009 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users