Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Search Engine results are redirected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 the_friend

the_friend

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thank you so much for looking at my issue.
I'm trying to help a friend clean up her computer. She has a Dell computer with XP Media Center Edition.

She was infected with Total Security 2009 and Windows Police Pro.

Her computer did not have any restore points that I could roll back to.

I scanned the computer with a buch of different apps (including McAfee, malewarebytes, super antispyware, spybot, etc.) and got the Total Security 2009 and Windows Police Pro problems fixed.

Playing around with her computer a little more to make sure everything was OK I realized that when I go to a search page like google.com, entered something to search for then clicked on one of the results I get redirected to the wrong page. This happens on bing and yahoo as well. This was why I wound up trying all kinds of scanning apps to find something that would fix it but no luck.

Also, the computer wont start in safe mode. When try to start it in safe mode I get an error:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computre.
If this is the first time you've seen this...
Check for viruses on your computer...

Lastly, when I reboot the computer sometimes the McAfee antivirus shows that Real time scanning is disabled as well as Spyware and potentially unanted programs scanning is disabled. I need to click Fix each time to re-inable scanning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Have you tried the "Repair Broken SafeBoot Key" fix in SUPERAntiSpyware?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users