Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I... Qualified for Linux?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nexus

nexus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

Linux sounds like a great OS, but some websites make it sound so exclusive of hard-core computer maniacs... see, I have some experience with computers, I've been using them since I was 8, now (at 17) I can write HTML, I know a lot of JavaScript, BASIC, a little bit of C++ and I have an almost microscopic amount of experienmce with MS-DOS... oh, and Im very familiar with windows (wich I guess won't help much...). Still, there are alot of subjects (like networking and hardware) wich I'm not into... at all.

I really enjoy programming and I've learned to hate windows and well, Linux just sound so like... for me :thumbsup:

I guess what I'm asking is... what other things should I know before I install Linux in my computer? I'm planning to have it as an alternative OS along with Win XP, see, it's the family's computer I'm using so I can't just kill windows... unless I can convince everyone that windows is stupid wich will be hard since it's such a life-long habit... ANYWAY, any suggestions on what to learn before I embark on my linux adventure will be greatly appreciated (especially things I can read on the internet cause books are kind of expensive...)

Edited by nexus, 25 July 2005 - 05:23 PM.

</message>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flann

flann

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

you might want to consider buying a cheap used computer to play around with linux. There can be problems by having two operating systems on one computer, and seeing that its your family computer, its probably best not to cause those problems.

Don't listen to the people that make linux sound like its impossible, it is hard, but once you get the hang of it, its a great time. You dos expirence will help you with linux, because a lot of the things you do with linux, is done in what is called a shell. A shell is like a dos prompt, and it is really fun to use, and you'll have some great control over what the operating system can do for you. I hope this answers your questions, oh yeah, buy a book, it'll help.

#3 RedhatCOC

RedhatCOC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

The good news is - unless it's MS Visual, you can continue your C++ programming on Linux :thumbsup: Which distribution are you intending to install? For those new to linux I recommend Ubuntu - it is extremely easy to install software through package management. Find a piece of software you like? System > Admin > Synaptic. Search for it, click install, and badda bing badda boom you have it :flowers:

Generally, to install other software, you change to the directory in the shell (mentioned by flann) (using the cd command, just like DOS :trumpet: )and type:

./configure

Then wait :inlove:

make

Then wait :cool:

make install (must be done as root, which is the Admin account. You get to this using the "superuser" trick, by using the command "su" and typing the root password.)

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)

#4 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Linux sounds like a great OS, but some websites make it sound so exclusive of hard-core computer maniacs... see, I have some experience with computers, I've been using them since I was 8, now (at 17) I can write HTML, I know a lot of JavaScript, BASIC, a little bit of C++ and I have an almost microscopic amount of experienmce with MS-DOS... oh, and Im very familiar with windows (wich I guess won't help much...). Still, there are alot of subjects (like networking and hardware) wich I'm not into... at all.

I really enjoy programming and I've learned to hate windows and well, Linux just sound so like... for me :thumbsup:

I guess what I'm asking is... what other things should I know before I install Linux in my computer? I'm planning to have it as an alternative OS along with Win XP, see, it's the family's computer I'm using so I can't just kill windows... unless I can convince everyone that windows is stupid wich will be hard since it's such a life-long habit... ANYWAY, any suggestions on what to learn before I embark on my linux adventure will be greatly appreciated (especially things I can read on the internet cause books are kind of expensive...)

You came to the writ spot .I do not now much linux ,but I m learning .If you want the feel of linux you can get the CD with xenopix and browse and learn in your windows xp without installing, providing you have a CD Rom good, lock JL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users