Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Default Player?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Is there a way to set a specific media player as default. I do not use WMP as I use VLC which doesn't need an extra codec pack installed. I read an article on KM Player and downloaded it to check it out. After a week or so I realised that for my purposes I would just stick with VLC. I went to uninstall KM Player but found it wasn't entered in my ARP list. I found an uninstall icon in the folder in Program Files and uninstalled it from there but if I had known that was the case I would not have installed it to begin with as that is suspicious behaviour in my book.

After uninstalling it I realised that all my video files now have just the bare folder icon. The KMP icon is gone and although the VLC icon is on my audio files it has not returned to the video files. When I download I get the option to download as a KMP file as default and the check box to change this is greyed out so I cannot change it. I use the option Save As and send the file to my Downloads Folder. I can right click on the file and choose to play with VLC and it plays ok but the folder icon remains blank. I cannot see an option to make VLC the default player in the VLC preferences and wonder if someone can tell me how to do it in Windows itself.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Right-click on one of your video files and choose Properties from the menu. Then follow this simple diagram:
Posted Image

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:28 PM

You really are Amazing Andrew, as simple as that. Many thanks, I tried something similar by right clicking and going to the properties in VLC player. I just didn't think to do it on the file instead. Problem solved anyway.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Glad to hear it! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users