Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Share Folders & Remote Desktop Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hello all:
I have a little problem. I have a laptop and desktop machine, both running XP. I have the wireless network set to allow me to share files between both machines. I recently activated Remote Desktop Connection in order to do some tasks without having to go to the other machine. But there seems to be a problem:

In order to use Remote Desktop Connection, my user account must have a password (previously I had no password on either machine) on the remote machine. Everything works as it should.

BUT

When I'm not using Remote Desktop Connection and try to access a file (on the remote machine), my file manager hangs up and has to be killed. After doing some investigating I found that the reason it hangs up is because the remote machine requires the password, but I was never prompted to supply one. This happens regardless of what file manager I use. I tried Windows Explorer (useless, I know), and my preferred file manager Xplorer2.

So, is it at all possible to somehow set things so that I can use both the Remote Desktop Connection and basic file sharing between machines over the wireless network?

Any help/advice/suggestions, etc are very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

That is strange, when you make the remote connection it asks for a username and password and should give you full access to the things under that name. Are there more than 1 user on the remote machine? Does the one you are logging into have Admin rights? I am just spit balling cause file sharing and remote desktop are 2 different things and shouldn't interfere with one another.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Are there more than 1 user on the remote machine? Does the one you are logging into have Admin rights?

There's just one user: me. Guest account is off. I have full Admin rights...

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

I set up the Remote Desktop and I had full access to all files. There must be something blocking access. Maybe undo it and put it all back...not sure. Sorry :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

I set up the Remote Desktop and I had full access to all files. There must be something blocking access. Maybe undo it and put it all back...not sure. Sorry :thumbsup:

I'll give it a shot and report. Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users