Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Password Manager 2004

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shoe52

Shoe52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

Hi Folks, This is my first posting and I hope it hasn't already been discussed. To begin with I will freely admit that I am among the "cyber-challenged". I have Norton Password Manger 2004 and I was wondering if ANYONE knows how to print out the information contained within. I'm talking about websites with their corresponding User ID's and Password. I loved using this product originally but my computer is getting on in years and want to print this information out. Dummy me never wrote down the 250+ passwords that I have loaded in there. That information has to be SOMEWHERE! If NPM 2004 can access it then why can't I? Thank you for any help given. SHOE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi Shoe and welcome to BC. Apologies that no one has responded til now.

First I would advise against printing out your passwords if you have any that are sensitive at all--it defeats the purpose of having a manager that locks your passwords away and thus keeps them safe. Such password managers are like bank vaults--what you want to do is like taking your valuables outside the vault just before closing the vault door.

That's why most password managers don't allow the printing out of their database. I don't use Norton so I can't be specific, but the closest most come to a printout is an export of the database file, for if you want to import your data into another program. If you have a File menu, click it and see if there is an export option. Exports are usually in the form of a .csv file that can be opened in Notepad. Such a file would look funny (lots of commas), but would have your info there if you think no one in your home environment would steal the info. I still would advise against a printout tho.

It sounds like what you really want, and more importantly should, do is backup your data so it doesn't get lost. You shouldn't use a password manager if you aren't going to back it up--because it's easy to lock yourself out of it and there is no way to recover when that happens.

Check your help file--it may automatically make backups and you should know where those are kept. Then use a backup program such as Cobian or GFI Backup to copy those to a CD/DVD or other drive, in case your hard drive crashes. You would also need the installation file for Norton Password Manager.

If you do have the ability to export your password database, I would advise you to switch to another password manager. It doesn't look like yours are supported anymore as I can't find it in Norton's forums: http://www.symantec.com/connect/security/forums

I recommend KeePass.
http://keepass.info/

It doesn't fill in the passwords automatically, like Norton, but I believe it is more secure that way. It also doesn't generate its own backups, but what is nice about it is that the program is portable. Which means you can install it, then copy the entire folder, including the password database, to another drive, so you have a second copy if something happens to your hard drive. I run KeePass from a USB Flash drive, and use GFI Backup to synchronize the two folders (KeePass folder installed on C rive and the KeePass folder installed on the USB drive) so that one doesn't become outdated when I change a password.

That does get a bit complicated. But it is much more secure. If Norton does make backups, keeping a backup copy on another drive is much simpler. I doubt if Norton is portable, so that is why I would recommend a switch. It is real nice to be able to take your passwords with you where ever you go.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users