Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uncompatible Ram Speed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

I would like to ask if it is fine to installed an ddr2 667mhz of RAM on a motherboard that can only support up to ddr2 533mhz?

And if there is any risk or problem to come on future what is that be?

I hope someone can help me, thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

If you install a 667 mhz into a 533, you will face some issues. It may actually ruin your motherboard simply because the speed of the motherboard cannot live to the speed of the RAM. In the case that you DONT blow up your mobo, you will only seize the effectiveness of a 533 mhz. If I were you, I would not try to install a 667 into a 533. If it was vice versa, it would work, but it is not the scenario.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

If you install a 667 mhz into a 533, you will face some issues. It may actually ruin your motherboard simply because the speed of the motherboard cannot live to the speed of the RAM. In the case that you DONT blow up your mobo, you will only seize the effectiveness of a 533 mhz. If I were you, I would not try to install a 667 into a 533. If it was vice versa, it would work, but it is not the scenario.

Sir but when I ask in other forum at geekstogo.com/forum told me this:

no...as long as the ram is the right form factor (size and shape) and compatible with your motherboard it will run at the fastest speed allowed by the board

also ram will only run at the speed of the fastest piece of ram

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:15 AM

<<...also ram will only run at the speed of the fastest piece of ram>>

No...the RAM speed will match the speed of the slowest RAM module if you have multiple modules with differing speeds.

If I install PC533 together with PC667...the system will run at the slower (533) speed, provided the motherboard/CPU supports at least 533 RAM.

Louis

#5 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

<<...also ram will only run at the speed of the fastest piece of ram>>

No...the RAM speed will match the speed of the slowest RAM module if you have multiple modules with differing speeds.

If I install PC533 together with PC667...the system will run at the slower (533) speed, provided the motherboard/CPU supports at least 533 RAM.

Louis

So you mean it is allowed to just install 667mhz while the motherboard capable of support just 533mhz? How about installing two ram of same speed but different in capacity, is it allowed? Right now im just have 1 ram of ddr2 667mhz installed on my motherboard that just capable to support upto ddr2 533mhz only, because i have no other option. I bought the ram just less a weak ago but they can't replace it coz they don't have stock for 533/400 mhz.

BTW, thanks for reply...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

<<Right now im just have 1 ram of ddr2 667mhz installed on my motherboard...>>

If you have the RAM module installed, I don't know what you are asking.

If it works, that's self-explanatory, isn't it :thumbsup:?.

I just remembered one aspect which you need to be aware of...if you employ two different modules (different speeds) of RAM in a system, you will lose the benefit of being able to run dual-channel. If you don't know what that is, use Google to read about it...it's too complicated for me to try.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...&aqi=g2g-m3

Louis

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

o.O Really? I've always been taught that if it's frequency is higher you should never try. But hey, if it works, then it works.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:31 PM

I've run PC2100 and PC2700 together before.

But the dual-channel concept pretty much makes it foolish to run differing modules together, IMO.

...and I could be wrong, it happens a lot in a lifetime :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hehe, I've always kept it the same to utilize dual channels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users