Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I make IE browser kid-friendly?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jukki

Jukki

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:03 AM

Hi,
I have young children (ages 6 and 7) that are making their first steps on the Internet. Is there a feature in IE browser that can limit their surfing to safe websites only? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lola112

Lola112

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:35 AM

Hi,
First I must say that personally I think that young children should not use the Internet without an adult supervision, but I am aware of the fact that parents can't always be around when their kids use the web, so there are tools that you can use to limit your kids' Internet using. In IE there is a parental control tool which included free in Windows for IE6 and later versions called Content Advisor. You can see the following link to learn how to enable it -
How to Limit Children Web Browsing Using Internet Explorer

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Windows Vista and later have built in parental controls that can be quite handy in situations such as this. Which version of Windows are you using?

And just to help spread the word: you probably want to avoid monitoring programs.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Also, you might want to check with your ISP. Many provide free parental controls a part of your service.

#5 Jukki

Jukki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:37 AM

Thanks guys, this information really helps. I am currently using Windows XP and IE8, I have checked out the content advisor feature but it seems that I need to enter by myself a list of websites I approve of, and I am afraid I am not familiar with appropriate websites for kids. I don't want to use a monitoring tool that will spy on my kids - I don't think it will be educating, but I don't want them to be exposed to unsuited material. Is there a plugin I can add to IE that is better than the content advisor offering a basic list of approved sites?

#6 Lola112

Lola112

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:10 AM

I think maybe you should consider using a customized web browser designed for kids. There are a few companies and individuals who designed web browsers for kids. These web browsers function as enclosed environment keeping the kids safe when they surf. They usually offer basic lists of approved sites appropriate for children and they have a user interface customized for children. I think these web browsers are mostly suited for young children who are making their first steps on the Web and sometimes have limited lanuagage skills. Somtimes these browsers offer parental control features as well, such as, browsing habits reports. You can check out the following article Web Browsers for Kids - It offers information on some kids' web browsers (some of them are freeware).

I hope this information will be helpul for you...

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:41 AM

I have done what Lola112 said and I advise you doing that. IE and Firefox etc cannot be trusted when it comes to kids as young as 5-6 years of age.

I personally recommend you to install KidZui free browser. It covers entire screen so children cannot open any other browser my mistake. This browser opens only websites reviewed by other parents as safe for kids. So there is no chance that your kids accidentally can land on a bad area on internet. This browser is sponsored by kid toys manufacturers like Mattel. This browser is ideal for the kids of your kids age.

I have installed it on my 7 yr old niece's computer and she enjoy it a lot playing games mostly :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 23 September 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#8 Jukki

Jukki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the good advice, I have read the link Lola112 posted and it was a very helpful article. Kidzui browser is mentioned there also so I guess I will give it a try
:thumbsup:

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Just remember this parenting advice from a non-parent: no program or device is an adequate substitute for a properly supervised and educated youngster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users