Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 padrino1975

padrino1975

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my VidCard and can't decide which one to buy. I run an A7N8X-Deluxe AGP so the new 7800 GT is out of the question. I am looking at a 6800 GT Ultra 256MB that I found for sale for roughly $400 or a Crucial Radeon X800 Pro 256MB for $300. Is there really a hundred dollar difference of should I just go with the cheaper model. I currently have a 5200 GT so either would be a considerable upgrade. I only do gaming not graphics rendering or movie making type stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

One other question; Is there a difference between manufacture's? For instance should I buy a 6800 GT, BFG, PNY, Verto, Gainward, ASUS? Or are they all pretty much the same. Incedentely, the 6800 in the first paragraph for $400 is a BFG or I could get and EFX for the same price. Which is better?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

before upgrading your vid card plz do consider upgrading your power supply if it is smaller than 350w.

the 6800 has hardware for tomorrow, ATi has stuff that will be quickly outdated and obsolete within the next 6 months. but then again it all comes down to you, what do you favor?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:09 AM

Welcome to Bleeping,

I agree with the legoman on this one. Nvidia and ATI are in the battle royal'el right now and we get the benefits.

I run the ASUS's AX800PRO TVD AGP 256MB and love every second of my extreme graphics but the ASUS 6800 Ultra Platinum 256MB is just as awesome!

I will tell you this, I have gotten better service from ATI then Nvidia. Also, I have have gotten better service from ASUS then Crucial.

Crucial is a spin-off of Micron which started strong ending in shame. Try to claim your lifetime Micron warranty from Crucial. You will see.

These are the companies I would buy a video card from: ASUS, Abit, and for the everyday computer Sapphire. Abit comes from others recommending. BFG makes good stuff but I have run into weird issues using their cards. They do have an outstanding customer service though.

Your favor...as the legoman says,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users