Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restarting on Windows Login Screen

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

Hello there everybody!

Well I just came home from school to find out my computer has randomly shut itself off. After a restart, everything boots up fine until the screen to select user. Once I highlight or hover over any user the system just goes black and after about 5 seconds restarts itself.

Safe mode boots up without a problem.

System restore didn't help either. I went back as far as a month and nothing good has come out of it.

I definitely won't have much time to fix it during the week but I'm desperate to squeeze any time I have to get it back up. I have a few files in there I'll need for school!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Luis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The video drivers would be my first suspect (probably should be first because you have no problem when only the default video drivers load).

Louis

#3 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

So what should I do? Sorry for not knowing exactly what to do! Step by step would be good if possible.

Thanks,
Luis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

Boot into safe mode.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter. This gets you into Device Manager.

Device Manager Basics - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...-manager-basics

Click on plus-sign to left of Display Adapters. Double-click on what is listed as the detail for Display Adapters...also write down whatever description is listed (you need to get the right drivers for the right device).

At the Driver tab, click on Uninstall.

Reboot the system.

Let us know if the error continues.

System manufacturer and model (e.g. eMachines T1234, Compaq Presario 123, etc.)?

Louis

#5 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

Ok so after I uninstalled the driver (Radeon X300 Series) I restarted the computer and it worked. It began reinstalling the driver. Afterwards I tried to change the resolution. Once I hit apply, the screen went black which I expected when it changed resolution. It flashed the display for a split second and went black again. Then it restarted on it's own again. During startup, it restarted itself again before reaching the select user screen.

We were off to a good start but now another roadblock!

The system is a Sony Vaio VGC-RA820G running XP SP3.

Luis

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Well...that behavior would signify to me that I probably had the wrong driver...or a failing video chip/card. But I'm often wrong when doing nothing but guessing :thumbsup:.

For the sake of sheer argument :flowers:, try downloading the driver at http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGCRA820G and installing it (uninstall the old, just install the new...then reboot). This time we won't give XP a chance to install a driver.

You also need to stop these restarts so that we can look at some error messages, How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

Louis

#7 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

Ok so the system started up with a blue screen giving the following info:

...The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ati2dvag

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop.

Technical info:

*** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x86BA7300, 0x86C8A008, 0xF78EACBC, 0x00000001

Now I'm 100% sure it's a problem with the video card! I haven't tried reinstalling the driver just yet. I just want to make sure it was necessary.

Luis

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

Well...it could be the hardware, but I'm not ocnvinced.

Take a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

This error has been experienced by users with both nVidia and ATI chipsets, I've not come across any post that seems to have a legititmate answer.

But...I have had ATI cards/chipsets before and they are routinely troublesome when it comes to drivers.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...ck+i&aqi=g2

What I would do:

a. Uninstall all files which have ATI included, using Add/Remove Programs. This includes all Catalystst and other entries which may be associated with install of the ATI chipset/card.

b. Carefully search the registry and remove all ATI entries.

c. Reinstall the card/drivers.

The problems that I experienced with ATI drivers...lead me to believe that the system must be purged of all files and related registry entries...before a reinstall will be effective.

I suggest to you that you try to follow the Microsoft guidance in the first link above.

Louis

#9 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Quick update!

So I uninstalled the ATI Catalyst suite which got rid of everything relating to ATI (drivers and software). On restart, windows loaded up but after a few seconds the screen turned into a garbled mess! I restarted again and this time it only got to the user selection screen and then it garbled up.

Next time I'm free I'll try to uninstall it again and delete registry files. I'm a little worried about editing the registry on my own though but I'll give it a go.

If all this fails I guess I'll finally give in to buying a new video card. The system is over five years old and to my surprise this is the first hardware related issue! Money is kinda tight so this would definitely be a last resort.

Thanks for your time!
Luis

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Well...if you are going to attempt registry editing...the first thing you should do is back up the registry. A good tool for doing such is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html.

The procedures I follow:

a. Start/Run...type regedit and hit Enter.

b. Move cursor to My Computer (top of left panel).

c. Edit/Find...put check marks in all 3 boxes (keys, values, data) and type ATI, then hit Enter.

d. It will stop at any item containing those 3 letters in a row...so I look at the description and ensure that it's really an entry for ATI video cards/chips. I then delete it.

e. Back up to Edit/Find Next...hit Enter (it will move to next item meeting search criteria). I delete that item.

I repeat Step e until...il I see a message posted saying that there are no more search items to be found (or something like that).

Some links that may be useful:

Using Regedit in Windows Registry - http://mikescomputerinfo.com/xpregistry.htm

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l74.html#backup \

Louis

#11 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

I just finished going into the registry and getting rid of things relating to ATI but there were 2 things at the most. Everything else was deleted when I uninstalled the Catalyst suite. I did a fresh install of the display drivers and the catalyst suite but windows still goes black during the logon screen.

These things are so frustrating! Bahhh!! Maybe it's time for a new card.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

Can you successfully boot into safe mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

If so, then try to implement How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

Louis

#13 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Safe mode still works. That's the only way I've been able to uninstall the drivers. And you already told me disable automatic restarts remember?

Old age seems to be getting to you eh? :thumbsup:

On a more serious note, when a few days ago it was giving me the error message which I posted but now the screen just goes black. No restarting and no blue error screen.

Luis

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

LOL...old age, laziness, and a bad memory :thumbsup:.

Does the mouse cursor appear in the upper left corner?

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#15 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Haha!

When you mention the mouse cursor, are you talking about in safe mode or windows login screen? Either way there is a cursor but just not in the upper left. It just appears centered.

And the black screen occurs when I try to select my user after booting into normal mode.

Luis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users