Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bowserthedog

bowserthedog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hello, I am having problems connecting to the internet using a wifi connection.

I have a D-Link router (not sure the model and such, but could possibly find it) and a brand new D-Link Wireless N DWA-552 PCI Wireless Desktop Adapter.

My problem is, after installing perfectly to instructions, I try to connect to the internet on my connection, and it says connecting, but then i just doesn't.
It says "problem with following task: connecting to wireless network" the D-Link Manager program wont work, it closes as soon as my mouse moves after opening it. It has to be software related because it happened also with the card i had before, and my mother can connect perfectly to the same connection.
Im on XP Pro SP2.

PS, same thing happened with the old wireless manager on the old card, and on the new Wefi program I just downloaded and tried, it just wont connect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

You are not even connecting to your router. Can you get to the admin screen of your router on your Mom's PC? Is your Mom's PC also on wireless or network cable? More information needed....

#3 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

i can get to admin page on my moms comp. yes, she is on wireless. any other info needed? thanks in advance! sorry for the bluntness of this, but im on my phone. :-)

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Check the admin page of your router for two settings:

1. LAN Address - IP Address of your Local Area Network...your router is the gateway to the Internet for your home network and you need to use this address in your IP settings where it asks for a "Gateway IP"

2. WAN Address - IP Address given to you by your Internet Service Provider. This needs to be something other than the following:

169.x.x.x
192.x.x.x
255.x.x.x

DO NOT post the information for your WAN Address in this forum or anywhere on the Internet. Your WAN address is basically the same thing as your home address and it allows the bad guys to knock on your front door to see if they can kick it in.

If your WAN Address looks similar to the information provided by your ISP, check to see if the DNS information for your router has been automatically supplied. If your ISP did NOT provide you with a static (never-changing) IP address for your Internet connection, you may need to set your router to use DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) services.

DHCP would allow your ISP to automatically give you a WAN IP address to connect to the Internet and treat your router as if it were their equipment - not yours.

Remember, if your router doesn't have a good WAN IP address, you wont connect to the Internet, no matter how much configuring you do internally.

#5 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

well I don't really know how to solve the problem based on your explaination, could you tell me exactly what I need to do? Also, I just connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable and i get the following error: "TC/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed."
This error comes when I try to repair the LAN connection. This error also comes up when I try to use my iphone with tethering (Im in Canada, so tethering is supported by the carrier) and rapair the connection. I'm still not getting interweb and I am considering reformatting if I can't get this working. thanks.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

If your mom's PC connects fine to the Net the issue is not the router.

Uninstall your old and new wifi card, I didn't see you mention where you uninstalled the old one. You should do this in Device manager and Add/Remove programs, remove anything listed that has anything to do with your wireless card. Reboot your PC and re-run the CD that came with the new wireless card.

What security do you have set up for your mom's wireless connection? If none, that is fine till you get your PC connected. I recommend you set some up but worry about that after yours is working.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:47 AM

My router allows MAC address exclusion (which prohibits any device that is not in the MAC address database in the router).
I have no experience with the D-Link router, but check on the wireless interface menu on the router and see if MAC address exclusion is activated. If so, add the D-Link Wireless N DWA-552 PCI Wireless Desktop Adapter MAC address to this database. Your Iphone MAC address must also be added to the database (you should find this on the packaging for the phone).

I don't know if you have the problem fixed - please comment on this thread if you have succeeded. This forum is very helpful if members sort out a problem and comment on it here with the solution. It may help another user with a similar problem.

#8 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

well I don't really know how to solve the problem based on your explaination, could you tell me exactly what I need to do? Also, I just connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable and i get the following error: "TC/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed."
This error comes when I try to repair the LAN connection. This error also comes up when I try to use my iphone with tethering (Im in Canada, so tethering is supported by the carrier) and rapair the connection. I'm still not getting interweb and I am considering reformatting if I can't get this working. thanks.

If TCP/IP is not enabled, this means that you can not use the networking card via TCP/IP. I'll try to break it down for you, so don't be offended if it seems too detailed:

TCP/IP is the software which enables a hardware device (such as a network card, printer, scanner, etc.) to talk to other TCP/IP enabled devices. TCP/IP is also the industry standard for using the Internet.

The way TCP/IP works is to allow your network card to talk to a device which assigns location and identification information to your network card - known as an IP address. IP addresses work on the same principle as telephone numbers and street addresses in that information can be routed to and from a specific device by using its IP address.

If TCP/IP doesn't work properly, you can't get an address and other devices can not find your location. In this scenario, any information you request from the Internet (or any other device for that matter) will be lost because it can not find the correct destination.

Follow the advice given to you and reinstall your hardware, making sure that the correct device drivers have been installed. After that, try this test to make sure that your network card is working properly:

From a command prompt, type: ping 127.0.0.1

This checks to see if TCP/IP is installed properly and is the same thing as typing ping localhost from the command prompt.

The reason you want to do this is twofold. First, you want to see if the network driver has the TCP/IP protocol bound to it (i.e.: TCP/IP can talk to this device). Second, if something is wrong and TCP/IP is screwed up on this connection, this will immediately tell you.

In order to tell if it was successful, look for the following:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

You should see 4 lines (called echo replies) and at the bottom you'll see:

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% Loss),
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If you get anything other than Sent = 4, Received = 4 you might have a problem with the TCP/IP installation. If it says Sent = 0, Received = 0 you need to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter. To be safe, if you have a wired and a wireless network adapter, do the same for both.

If you get 4 packets sent and received, you need to move up the TCP/IP food chain. Now that you've verified you can ping your installed adapters and TCP/IP is bound correctly, you need to verify that the computer can resolve hostnames (i.e.: translate an IP address to a computer name via DNS).

If step one is successful, type ping localhost - note the name and not the IP address.

If you get the same feedback as in step 1, then DNS is working and now you can try pinging the Internet by typing ping yahoo.com.

If you're successful at this point, your problem should be solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users