Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some software problems- help?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hi! Just had my system checked clean in virus/infections removal http://forums.whatthetech.com/Malwarebytes...on_t106670.html , so that's evidently not the problem.
It takes sometimes 5-7 minutes to load my user account after rebooting, screens will freeze(I've had to do hard shut downs, because even the "off" button on the front of the machine won't work. Takes sometimes 2-3 minutes for pages to load on the site I'm on, which can vary from site to site. One time a site works great, no lag time, next time, it takes forever. Sometimes(this is recent, last couple of weeks), when I click to go to a new page, the page will come up white, with the correct address in the bar, the "done" at the bottom of the page. Refresh usually works, but at times I actually have to copy/paste to get to a new page(this happens on various sites, again- one day it's fine, next not).
I know this computer has to be cleaned up, there's too much junk on it, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing!! Help?
I'm on Windows xp media edition, sp3. For a browser, I usually use firefox, but have a lot of download problems with that, so sometimes use IE7 when needed.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

As a first start - try cleaning out all your temp files. You can use ATF Cleaner for this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

I've got CCleaner already. Does that do the same job? If not, I'll download the ATF.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yes, CCleaner does the same job. Just use the "Cleaner" function. Stay away from the "Registry" function.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Ok, I did the CCleaner again. I try to use it every couple of weeks. How long do you think I should wait to see how much of a difference it's made? I should warn you for future reference- I'm really not very computer savvy at all :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

Reboot your computer. If CCleaner made any difference you should notice it immediately.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

Seems to be helping! Thanks! I've been using the cleaner every couple of weeks, like I said. Should I do it weekly then? Also- one more problem while I've got you. I also frequently get "connection has been reset" when browsing. Refresh never works, the "try again" button doesn't either. I literally have to copy the link, delete it, and paste it back in to get to where I was. My provider says their end is showing no problems. That particular little annoyance is still happening.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

Let's double-check for viruses:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Here's the scan. Says it found nothing. One really odd thing last night, and it's not the first time this has occured. When I double click a desktop icon, it will "disappear" for a few seconds, comes back, then it takes a long time for it to open. I mean like up to 10 minutes. That's what happened with Malwarebytes when I started the scan last night. I've had MB for a while now, so I just updated it, and ran it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2719
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

9/24/2009 6:52:11 AM
mbam-log-2009-09-24 (06-52-10).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 149223
Time elapsed: 53 minute(s), 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by sherrylynne, 24 September 2009 - 09:05 AM.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that might shed some light on the problem.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

There are a LOT of errors. The greatest number are from today, actually(2873- in applications) There are also some dating from mid August this year. Do you want them all? I've been having a number of problems for a while now, and just generally try to work around them.

Edited by sherrylynne, 24 September 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

Let's just concentrate on the recent errors. Look at the time of the error and see if it occurred at the time you were experiencing problems. If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. Just post the details of 2 or 3 errors for now.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Here's one of the one's from around when the internet went down yet again last night(there are several)
Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here's one from around the time I was trying to run Malwarebytes last night
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service SeaPort with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{D6381B4A-D254-46EB-9018-A62E0F4BA6BA}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I hope these are what you're looking for!

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

Thanks! I ran the chkdsk, and it does seem to be helping. It did when I last ran it about 3 months ago as well. How often should I be using it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users