Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up 'incompatible' problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:53 PM

My PC has developed an annoying up habit of halting Start Up with the following message 'Sec Master Drive - ATAPI incompatible press F1 to resume'. Once F1 is pressed the machine resumes as normal. I am running Windows 98 SE and there have been no recent hardware changes. No amount of diagnostic work using Norton Systemworks has identified an appropriate problem.
This is my first posting so forgive me if this is not enough info to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

This is a problem with installing the Master Drive on the Secondary IDE Channel.
To troubleshoot this start with making sure the IDE cables are plugged into the drive and MB. Enter the BIOS and make sure that your drives are detected by the BIOS, Reset the defaults if necessary, save changes and exit. Enter the device manager, remove the Master Drive on the Secondary IDE (do not remove Secondary IDE Controller) probably your CD-Rom, DVD, or CD-RW then reboot and let Windows reload it from the Driver Cache.

Let us know what happens.

#3 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

Many thanks for an excellent diagnosis - the IDE cable wasn't fully pushed home on my CD-RW Drive, I followed your guidleines and am now back on line with a fully working PC.
Appreciate your assistance - Cheers

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

You're Welcome Kevin

Glad you got it up and running. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users