Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unencrypting Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GalinKinlin

GalinKinlin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Alright, so... I have a good 500 pictures that all worked fine. I moved them to my portable hard drive, and now some of them seem to be encrypted, when before they were merely compressed. About 50 of them are now encrypted, and are unusable. I try to open them in Windows picture viewer, and it just shows an x.

They are all .jpg files, but I have plenty of .jpg files that work. There doesn't seem to be a certain name that affected them this way, and they are spread out between two folders, both with pictures that work inside their respective folders. They do not appear to be encrypted with any particular program, just with Windows XP. But when I right click properties to unselect Encrypt, it is grayed out. It also won't let me compress those files. It won't even let me move them off of the hard drive, it just says access is denied.

What can I do to fix it? (Unencrypt them so they will become usable)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

Are you the only user on your computer? Are you an admin on your PC? It is a possibility that someone else encrypted them.

Right-click on an encrypted file select Properties, click on Advanced button, then click on Details. You would see user(s) listed who can see the file transparently. Politely ask one of them to decrypt the files.

#3 GalinKinlin

GalinKinlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

I am an admin, but I am not the only user. Also, the other use doesn't have access to my hard drive.

The details button is grayed out and unclickable.

Edited by GalinKinlin, 23 September 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

If the Details is grayed out, then you are not the original user who encrypted that file. Moreover, the user permissions on that files have been removed or altered. This can happen if you copy an encrypted file from one network/computer to entirely different computer/network.

If the original user who encrypted does not give you permission you cannot decrypt the file.

Read this article : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308993

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users