Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB installation crashes XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy58

dannyboy58

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

OK, so I recently had to redo my laptop (HP pavilion zd8000) from the ground up, reinstalled everything. I got a virus on it, and I had to wipe everything. Apparently the virus blocked the USB ports (amongst other things, like my network card), but redoing everything didn't fix that. The virus is gone, and everything's fine but the USB's.

They don't work at all, like there's no power to them; they don't even attempt to recognize anything that's plugged in. Device Manager shows them all as working properly, even though it finds and tries to install them after start-up.

On restart, I have to scramble like mad after the boot-up to get to device manager and stop the computer from installing my USB ports because it gives the BSOD immediately afterward. I suppose I could stop it from trying to install them at start-up, but I really just want my USB ports working.

Disabling then enabling them causes a BSOD too, as does doing the built in driver search/install.

Any pointers here? I tried HP support this morning, and had no luck at all, not surprisingly. I'm just not familiar at all with how these things are supposed to work, and I've never had an issue with them before. Its new territory.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

When you reinstalled Windows did you install all the drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dannyboy58

dannyboy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

I think so, which drivers specifically should I be looking at?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

You could start with this one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1137817
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dannyboy58

dannyboy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

I guess that's what I need, but it won't download. Yay.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

What do you mean by "it won't download"?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 dannyboy58

dannyboy58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

I got it.

Case closed, and thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic