Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus 2008 and 100% CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tomdlgns

tomdlgns

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

this persons computer had AntiVirus 2008, which was found by mbam.

i clicked to remove it and i rebooted the computer (i was in safe mode with networking)

i dont see antivirus 2008 popping up, although, i never did. the only time i saw it was in the mbam scan.

it popped up as Rouge.AntiVirus2008

as i said, i removed it. However, the computer usage in task manager is still at 100% causing the computer to run very, very slow.

user told me it started happening a few days ago.

i checked the guide on here that shows which registry items and c:\program files folders to check, but not a trace of AV 2008 at all.

processes seem normal, but i dont know if each one is safe by memory. also, everything in the startup in msconfig is disabled, other than the few windows files.

after a reboot, i am still at 100% CPU usage.

not sure where else to go from here.

i am running the microsoft malicious remover program right now, hasn't found anything about 1/4 of the way done.

thanks.

EDIT-

the windows malicious remover tool took about 4 hours to scan the hard drive. found 0 infected files.

however, when i boot into windows, i still see 100% CPU usage.

i started ending some of the processes, but some of them wont let me end them. i get "Access Denied" and i am logged in as HP_Administrator, the only account on the PC.

thanks again.

Edited by garmanma, 22 September 2009 - 10:37 AM.
moved-no logs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tomdlgns

tomdlgns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:00 AM

this persons computer had AntiVirus 2008, which was found by mbam.

i clicked to remove it and i rebooted the computer (i was in safe mode with networking)

i dont see antivirus 2008 popping up, although, i never did. the only time i saw it was in the mbam scan.

it popped up as Rouge.AntiVirus2008

as i said, i removed it. However, the computer usage in task manager is still at 100% causing the computer to run very, very slow.

user told me it started happening a few days ago.

i checked the guide on here that shows which registry items and c:\program files folders to check, but not a trace of AV 2008 at all.

processes seem normal, but i dont know if each one is safe by memory. also, everything in the startup in msconfig is disabled, other than the few windows files.

after a reboot, i am still at 100% CPU usage.

not sure where else to go from here.

i am running the microsoft malicious remover program right now, hasn't found anything about 1/4 of the way done.

thanks.

EDIT-

the windows malicious remover tool took about 4 hours to scan the hard drive. found 0 infected files.

however, when i boot into windows, i still see 100% CPU usage.

i started ending some of the processes, but some of them wont let me end them. i get "Access Denied" and i am logged in as HP_Administrator, the only account on the PC.

thanks again.

i ran SAS as well and it found 1 threat.

microsoft found -0
malwarebytes found-1 Rouge.Antivirus2008
SAS found-1 Threat- didnt give me the name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users