$500 may be pushing it, even for an AMD system. Just for kicks, I spec'd out a system for you at Newegg. It cost about $550, however, that was before an OS was installed. Buying Windows again will cost $100. After looking at your previous posts at BC, it seems you are a student. You may be able to get a discounted version of Windows. Here's what I came up with, you can save some cash by reusing old parts like the HDD and optical drive.
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
- Solid and highly thought of, it is a mid-tower so using two or more GPU's is not suggested. $49
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
- This is certainly not an enthusiast motherboard. Instead, it is a mainstream AM3 platform that can handle the new CPU's and uses DDR3. $79 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz
- There is a $10 cheaper version of this CPU available, but it isn't as good. For your $10 you get a slightly faster CPU that is also an unlocked Black Edition. This CPU is based off the Phenom II architecture and has all the features of the line. $102
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
- This motherboard requires DDR3. Also, you need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $70
Power Supply - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W
- This will provide plenty of power for this system. $69
Graphics Card: ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850
- Not the most high-end, but can run all the new games well. $99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB
- A large, inexpensive drive. $55
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B
- An inexpensive optical drive that can read and write most discs. $27
Operating System: Windows Vista, or 7 64-bit. You may be able to get student discounts on full versions of Windows, but they tend to vary. If you bought the cheap OEM version at Newegg, that will run you about $100, and that isn't included in my $550 I quoted.
Edited by DJBPace07, 22 September 2009 - 12:18 AM.