Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Printer through NAS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

Using a wireless home network, with a Iomega StorCenter ix2 network drive. I plugged my Lexmark 2500 printer/scanner into the port on the drive.

My computer (an HP laptop using Windows 7) can see the printer, but when I try to print I get the error "Communication Not Available. The printer cannot communicate with the computer." (The printer works fine when connected directly to the computer.)

I can't find out whether the network drive actually supports bidirectional communication, but in the printer properties the "Enable Bidirectional Communications" box is checked.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

In the manual this is what it has for installing a printer. The bold part is of interest, of course all things have that little bit of info. But the Adding a printer part, is that what you did? and where you can see it? Because if you are going to where it shows in Win7, that is for when it is directly connected. You might have to set it up with a TCP/IP port.

Connecting USB Printers

The Printers page displays a table of printers that are attached to the Iomega StorCenter device. The table contains the name, model, status, and number of documents waiting for each printer.

To connect a printer, simply plug a supported USB printer into a USB port on the Iomega StorCenter device. Once connected, the printer will appear in the table. When the cable is unplugged, the printer will be removed from the table.

The StorCenter will recognize two USB printers.

NOTE: The StorCenter print server is not guaranteed to work with all printers. For best results, use a printer without multi-function features (i.e., scanner, copier, fax, modem, etc.).

Adding a Printer in Windows

1. Connect a USB printer to the StorCenter.
2. Install the printer drivers on the client computer.
3. Browse to your StorCenter using Windows Explorer. You can do this simply by entering \\<StorCenter IP Address> in the Windows Explorer Address bar.
4. At the root level of the StorCenter, you will see all shared folders and printers listed. Double click on the printer icon you wish to configure.
5. In the Connect to Printer dialog box, click Yes to continue.
6. Click OK to proceed to the driver selection screen.
7. Select your driver then click OK. Windows will open the print queue window for your printer.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

But the Adding a printer part, is that what you did? and where you can see it?

Yes, that is how I added the printer. When I said I can "see" it, I meant through the StorCenter interface on the computer, where I can see the network drive as well as the other things plugged into it.

When I bought this drive, no one told me it might not work with multifunction printers (which both of mine are!).

So, how do I do that TCP/IP option?

Edited by shawnvw, 21 September 2009 - 02:13 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

lol..I need to save these things I know I did this step by step in a post not long ago.

Anyway, for Win7: In Devices and Printers your printer should be listed -> right click on the icon -> click Properties -> click the Ports tab -> click Add Port -> Click Standard TCP/IP Port and go through the steps. Enter the IP address of the NAS when it asks for the Printer Name or IP address. I am not sure if it will work since this is going to a NAS but that is how you set up a networked printer, so it should.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users