Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

home wireless network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trimbaud

Trimbaud

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

Can my wireless connection at home be impacted by other wireless devices? What are the typical symptoms? Is there an easy fix?

We have Verizon FIOS - the main computer (attached to the router) Is fine, and a laptop attached via Ethernet cable is fine. But the laptop that connects wireless is odd – sometimes it doesn’t get a signal, sometimes it shows a signal, but the browser doesn’t connect to the internet – and sometimes, irt connects okay, but the connection has a tendency to s-l-o-w down all of a sudden.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to the World of Wireless!! lol

To answer your question, yes there are things that can interfere with the wireless signal in just the way you described. Some cordless phones, certain lamps set to close to the router, the structure of your home and sometimes the router is just a piece of crap. The easiest thing to try is switching the channel your wireless signal is on. You may also have to change the setting on the wireless card in your PC, normally its set to auto so its no biggie. The other easy thing to do is update the driver on your wireless card.

Go to Device manager -> click the + beside Network adapters -> right click on your wireless card -> click Update driver. If that doesn't work go to the maker of the laptop, get the latest driver for the wireless and manually update it.

Just out of curiosity, what is the make and model of the modem and/or router? If its one unit give us that. If its separate give us both please. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Trimbaud

Trimbaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

Thanks. I'll try a different channel or two, and see what happens.

We have a Verizon supplied router - I think their model number is MI424WR - hen I go home, I'll double check and see if there is a manufacturer name.

The wireless adaptor is Zyxel g220 v3 - I just installed that this weekend, after making Verizon send me a new adaptor, because their troubleshooter said THAT was the problem.

I appreciate the response - I'll give you the results, and that router info, ASAP.

#4 tomdlgns

tomdlgns

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

i would bring in a friends laptop and see if the same thing happens with their laptop. if not, then the wireless adapter in your computer is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users