Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KipperTie

KipperTie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hi

I've recently been having problems with a virus on my PC which I have been seeking help for on here.(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic251140.html)

Unfortunately, when I was accessing the internet to see if there had been a response to my topic, the PC rebooted itself for no apparent reason before my internet connection had even loaded up.

I got onto the internet via work and posted a reply to my original topic stating what had happened and Extremeboy suggested that I post a new topic in here and then return to my old topic once I've got my PC up and running again.

No matter what I try I keep getting a blue screen stating "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Unmountable_boot_volume.

Check any new hardware/software is properly installed and disable any new hardware/software/ Disable BIOS memory options such as saching or shadowing.

Press f8 to restart in safe mode (etc, etc)

Tech Info
*** stop:0XC000000ED (0X8AD3C900, oXC000000E, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

I've tried to restore last known good configuration, start windows normally, start in safe mode and each time the system just restarts itself. When it's restarted itself it doesn't find the drives and I get NVIDIA boot agent up (212.0491) saying PXEE61 Media test failure, check cable.

If I turn the PC off and on again it finds the drives ok but restarts itself halfway through startup and I get the blue screen again.

I do have windows recovery console installed on my PC but I've not tried anything with that yet. I thought it would be sensible for me to ask advice of you guys first as you clearly know more about computers than I do!

The only thing I have done to the PC in the last few weeks is to rip a music CD into media player (an original, not a copy), which I then listened to - this was about an hour before I lost my PC. I haven't dowloaded any programmes or done anything else at all.

If I have to recover Windows and lose data then so be it - my photos are backed up and they are the only thing that I really care about, but it would be nice to just be able to restore my system as it is, if that's at all possible, (so I don't have the hassle of re-installing everything) and then get rid of the virus that started it all off in the first place!

Any advice greatfully received

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

Unmountable boot volume errors...are often resolved by just running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302.

I suggest going into the Recovery Console and trying this.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Note: There must be a space between the k and the / when typing the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#3 KipperTie

KipperTie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thanks.

Is it possible to do this with a recovery CD or does it need to be the full XP installation CD? I'm pretty sure I've only got a recovery CD as my PC came with XP already installed, (although I'm sure I can find a mate who's got an install CD if necessary - I just don't want to mess my PC up even more by using the wrong CD!)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

Recovery CDs are the property of hardware system manufacturers...I have no idea what one might contain as opposed to another...but I expect them to be unlike an XP install CD. Part of the reason for generation of recovery/restore mechanisms by such vendors...is to avoid providing a CD that is a bona fide version of a MS install CD.

But...you can download an .iso file and burn it to CD...and thus have access to the XP Recovery Console.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 KipperTie

KipperTie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thanks so much for this. I'll give it a try over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

#6 RTCTech1

RTCTech1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

Save your data too, most of the time Unmountable Boot Volume is caused by a bad hard drive. I'm pretty sure if you run DFT or Seagate hard drive testing tools, you'll come to an answer quickly.

#7 KipperTie

KipperTie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hi

I've finally got to the point were I've been able to run Chhdsk in recovery console. I can now start the PC in safe mode but I still get blue screen when I try to start normally.

This time the blue screen says
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The numbers at the bottom are ***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000006, 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X804E2058)

The only thing I have done in the interim is replace the 40 wire cable with an 80 wire as a techy mate said this could help as the 80 wire ones are better.

Any idea what the problem is this time? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Kipper

#8 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

Kipper, may I ask you something? Trying to resolve my similar issue. Were you able to use Recovery Console immediately? Because when I use it, it doesnt see my Windows installation, and so it doesn't go to c:\windows; Making me unable to use chkdsk (it just fails immediately. even a simple command like dir doesnt work). Did you have this problem and somehow solved it?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Unfortunately...there are all sorts of drivers operative in XP, including ones which may have been inserted by malware.

Do a search of your system (in safe mode) for any .dmp files. Insert *.dmp as All Or Part Of the Name and include all files.

Let us know...

Louis

#10 KipperTie

KipperTie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Hi

Many apologies for the delay in my reply - I've not been able to get on line for a week!

I discovered that the hard drive a friend had installed in my PC wasn't the right one and to get it working properly I needed to install new stuff (sorry, don't know the technical terms!) to make it compatable and it sounded such a hassle (on top of getting rid of the virus that started all my problems) I decided to take the easy option and have just installed a new (and correct) hard drive, so now I have a virus free, and working computer, so you can close this thread.

I can't thank you enough for all of your assistance however, the work you do on this site is invaluable, and I'll sure I'll be back for help again, some time in the future.

Many, many thanks

Kipper

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:38 AM

Glad you resolved it, feedback appreciated :thumbsup:. Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users