Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jclynn67

jclynn67

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hi everyone ... I am new ... need help please!

I shut down my computer and took it out to the camper and went to turn it on in the camper and the fans spun but it wouldn't boot up ... the screen didn't light up ... no beeping ... so I unplugged it and tried again ... this time it beeped but didn't pay attention as I wasn't expecting a problem ... and it started loading and said it had overheated previously ... then shut down on it's own. Now sometimes the fans will spin and sometimes they spin for a second and stop ... but nothing else ... no beeps ... nothing on the monitor. I have taken it in the camper all summer with no problem ... worked fine when I shut it down that morning ... so confused!!! Please help!!!

Thanks,
Jody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

Are you referring to a laptop or a desktop computer? Please give a little bit more information regarding your computer and then we can provide more assistance.

Thanks,
Eric
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 jclynn67

jclynn67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

Whoops ... its an HP desktop with a pentium 4 ... not sure on the rest ... it is my sister's I was borrowing.

Thanks,
Jody

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

If your computer is overheating it will continue to do so unless the problem is remedied. I suspect that the fan which is mounted onto your processor may be dirty (inside the machine), along with many internal components. In my experience this is the primary reason for computer shutdowns and overheating. You would need to remove the cover of your computer to clean the fans and components off ONLY with
  • A can of compressed air
  • An anti-static vacuum
You most likely won't get access to the vacuum too easily, so go to Office Depot or Best Buy or Walmart and grab some compressed air. Then you'll need get into the computer to clean it up. I would HIGHLY advise you to get some help with this from someone that really knows what they're doing if you're not familiar with the inside of a PC or aren't comfortable doing this. Also, BEFORE touching anything inside of your PC, touch something else that is metal to discharge any static electricity from your body. After the fans are cleaned up and the rest of the components and the inside of the machine is clean and clear, put the cover back on and boot up the PC. Let it run for a while, opening up some programs and applications, to see what happens. If you can watch while it's running, in case an error pops up or something happens, then report back what you find.

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric RBA, 22 September 2009 - 03:46 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 jclynn67

jclynn67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:23 PM

I had just plugged it in and during boot up it didnt start ... fans only spun ... no beeps ... I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it beeped saying it had previously overheaded ... how did it overheat when I just plugged it in??? It won't boot up or do anything now ... sometimes the fans spin for a second and then stop.

Thanks,
Jody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users