Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 for $30...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:27 AM

I'm sure plenty of you have heard of Microsoft's new promotion for Windows 7, $30 for college students with a .edu email address, but, I am curious to see how you actually feel about this.

It has been a while since I have posted on here, but this recent promotion really punched me in the face.

$30 for a college student... $120 for every other hard working individual... really?

Now I understand Microsoft's rivalry with Mac, and competing with the amazing cost of Snow Leopard had become a big threat to Microsoft, so what did they do, promote a deal to the group that are more likely to use a Mac than others, college students. Now this will spike the overall amount of products sold and allow for the word to get out and possibly draw people from Mac to PC, thus resulting in more products sold... or so Microsoft believes. I for one find this to be a very bad move, snow leopard is $30 for EVERYONE, this shows that Apple has a significantly large amount of confidence in their products performance AND in its ability to sell. Microsoft, out of fear of competition, has dropped their price... a good move... but only for college students? that is a bad move. I see lack of confidence and even worse, a biased outlook on todays community from Microsoft. Limiting this promotion to a single group of people is in fact biased, in my eyes a college student is no more important than a hard working 18-26 year old person that could not afford college and in todays economy is being denied financial aid for schooling. Also they are no more important than a member of the military, for example, the military is responsible for much of our ground breaking technology we see today, why not provide them with new software? As of mid this year the Air Force is using Vista on all personell PCs, a deal like this could push them into 7.

As an educated military spouse I find this to be biased and ridiculous, if your a college student, this is not aimed as hatred towards you, but more towards Microsoft for providing you access to something at a MUCH cheaper price than those that could actually benefit more from it. This promotion is biased and should be removed or offered to all groups of people.

So that is how I feel, what about yourselves?
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38°C/39°C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

It's a non-issue. Microsoft offer low pricing on software for academic use...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Ditto. IMHO, this is a non-issue. Microsoft provides low cost and free software for academic purposes, and has been for years. Adobe, Mathworks, SolidWorks, Corel, and many other software manufacturers do the same thing. Not to mention hardware manufacturers like HP and Asus who provide student discounts.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

They are non biased. Microsoft has been offering free Office 2007 for High School students as soon as their school purchases a volume license for $499.99. I have 3 computers at home, and 1 I bring to school, 1 to use at home. I asked for 2 copies for Office 2007 and it was free of charge.

I remembered last year Adobe gave out CS4 to Computer Graphic Class students at my high school.

They are trying to help in an academic cause but also seize a marketing opportunity is all.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:36 PM

Quite true. As I recall, at Indiana University, students could get download Windows XP and install it for free. If they bought disks for the OS at the university bookstore, I think it was $25 The Business MS Office Suite if purchased on disk was $25 for students. Students at IU can currently get Windows 7 for $20.

This year, students can get the complete Adobe Creative Suite for $20. When I purchased it as a student, they didn't have such a nice deal for students. I had to pay over $300 for it a few years back.

Different universities will have different software and computer deals with various companies. If you are a student, it pays to check into these.

Incidentally, Indiana University has far more PC's than Macs. They have Macs, but not nearly as many, and often there are empty Mac terminals and students waiting for the PC's in the computer labs.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

Really? Wow, are PC's that useful? I would imagine it was the other way around..

But yes, these large corporations usually give offers to universities cause of 2 things:

1) Marketing of the object
2) It makes them looks like they actually care about the education of younger generations. Some companies really do care while others dont.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:42 AM

I'm sure plenty of you have heard of Microsoft's new promotion for Windows 7, $30 for college students with a .edu email address, but, I am curious to see how you actually feel about this.

It has been a while since I have posted on here, but this recent promotion really punched me in the face.

$30 for a college student... $120 for every other hard working individual... really?

Now I understand Microsoft's rivalry with Mac, and competing with the amazing cost of Snow Leopard had become a big threat to Microsoft, so what did they do, promote a deal to the group that are more likely to use a Mac than others, college students. Now this will spike the overall amount of products sold and allow for the word to get out and possibly draw people from Mac to PC, thus resulting in more products sold... or so Microsoft believes. I for one find this to be a very bad move, snow leopard is $30 for EVERYONE, this shows that Apple has a significantly large amount of confidence in their products performance AND in its ability to sell. Microsoft, out of fear of competition, has dropped their price... a good move... but only for college students? that is a bad move. I see lack of confidence and even worse, a biased outlook on todays community from Microsoft. Limiting this promotion to a single group of people is in fact biased, in my eyes a college student is no more important than a hard working 18-26 year old person that could not afford college and in todays economy is being denied financial aid for schooling. Also they are no more important than a member of the military, for example, the military is responsible for much of our ground breaking technology we see today, why not provide them with new software? As of mid this year the Air Force is using Vista on all personell PCs, a deal like this could push them into 7.

As an educated military spouse I find this to be biased and ridiculous, if your a college student, this is not aimed as hatred towards you, but more towards Microsoft for providing you access to something at a MUCH cheaper price than those that could actually benefit more from it. This promotion is biased and should be removed or offered to all groups of people.

So that is how I feel, what about yourselves?

Really, I paid $320.00 for Vista Ultimate just before 7's release!! I'm pissed too!!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Really, I paid $320.00 for Vista Ultimate just before 7's release!! I'm pissed too!!

Did you buy Vista after July 1, 2009? And Windows 7 does not release to the public till Oct 22, 2009.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

Did you buy Vista after July 1, 2009? And Windows 7 does not release to the public till Oct 22, 2009.

I must check my receipt. It may have been in March 2009.? Thanks for the reply,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#10 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Software is offered for low prices to students, GET OVER IT!

AutoCAD LT Perpetual, $150
AutoCAD 2010 5-year, $160
AutoCAD Perpetual, < $500
AutoCAD 2010 1-year, FREE $0
Solidworks w/Cosmos 2-year, $150
I also once paid $125 for 1-year of CATIA, probably the most expansive CAD program on the market. (yes i meant Expansive not Expensive)

Ok im done making my point
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Have you ever been a broke student? :huh:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 h2oman2000

h2oman2000

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

I'm a broke working man! :huh:

I just found a friend that was in school and had them purchase it for me. Installed and running fine.

I don't know if this a downgrade but I went from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Pro. Nope! Definitely an upgrade!

When I purchased it as a student, they didn't have such a nice deal for students. I had to pay over $300 for it a few years back.

When I was in school we didn't have computers. :huh:

Regards

h2oman2000

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

It's a common practice among commercial software vendors to offer free or reduced-priced versions of their software to college students.

But the motivation is no altruistic. They want to get these students to use their products now so that after they graduate they will continue to purchase upgrades and updates because they're already familiar with the software.

It's the same gimmick behind MS Visual Studio Express Edition. Give 'em something for free so they'll buy the new/full version in the future.

#14 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well I've been using Windows 7 RC and RTM for quite a while. And I am planning on buying a couple copies for the discounted price, I am a student at the University of Akron btw, just so I have them. Great OS. And more on topic, every company gives discounts for students for the most part. And the military will buy it in bulk for just pennies on the dollar. Tis how capitalism works my friend.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

And the military will buy it in bulk for just pennies on the dollar

Windows + Military = bad :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic