Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I clean up well or no?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gtbrown77

gtbrown77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:50 AM

Okay, so last night I was online and while checking my email, my Firefox (3.5.3) window shrunk down to a tiny box and I got a popup (I don't remember exactly what it said) that had something to do with Virus Doctor. Now, I know enough not to click the box or anything, so I ctrl+alt+del to get to the task manager and close the FF window that way, and immediately disconnect from the internet. I did some searching around (from another computer) to learn that I should download and run malwarebytes to deal with the Virus Doctor, so I dl'ed malwarebytes and while running it, AVG pops up saying it has detected Trojan Horse generic_c.iky, so I moved that to the virus vault. Malwarebytes didn't find anything (other than a couple of tracking cookies), so I followed up by running SuperAntispyware (in Safe Mode, since it froze up in Normal Mode), which reported that it found Trojan.dropper/gen, which I then moved to the quarantine. I also ran Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, AVG, and Malwarebytes again (all in Safe Mode), none of which reported/removed anything other than tracking cookies. I rebooted my computer and ran a full AVG virus scan (took almost 6 hours!) and then ran Malwarebytes again, and both showed my computer clean.

So, am I really doing okay, or did I miss something? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

How is your computer running now? Are there any symptoms/signs of infection not reported by your security tools like bogus pop-up alerts prompting you download any programs or issues with your browser?

Please post the results of your MBAM scan for review (even if nothing was found).

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
    • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-date(time).txt
      -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Logs are saved to the following locations:
-- In XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
-- In Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\Users\All Users\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

FYI: Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users