Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe lost?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 djay72

djay72

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

I was getting some pop-up windows, so I ran Malware-bytes. Came up with 11 infected files, so they were removed, told I needed to restart. So I did, when my login screen came up, I just had the colored bar. Hit enter to see if it would take me to the desktop, where I was immediately greeted withan error box, telling me that userinit.exe has failed to intiate, telling me to hit ok to end the application. Now the weird thing is I get my desktop screen, but no icons or windows task bar.

I can start in safe mode just fine, recovery console works sometimes, I have no reset dates(its late and I can't think of the actual terms....sorry:) )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

Run the System File Checker in Safe Mode:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 djay72

djay72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the info...but SFC will not run on here. I have to be in safe mode, will that allow it to run. I have a laptop that I was going to try and copy files over(as its running the same OS) But I am unsure which files to copy, if I should at all.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

I didn't quite understand what you meant. Did you mean that you tried to run SFC in Safe Mode but it didn't work?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 djay72

djay72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

Yes, it wouldn't run....but I believe I've got it fixed in general. I ran a Dell OS disk, just to see if it would copy any of the files over, before running a full install, and voilą, it was just enough to correct whatever was wrong with the userinit file. So as of now it's fixed......we shall see.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Every time I have tried to run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode (I have not tried every Safe Mode), the result is:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]

I have never pursued trying to get it to run in Safe Mode, so there might be a way and there are other sfc options that may work.

Anybody have any similar observations?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Anybody have any similar observations?

AFAIK .... sfc /scannow cannot be run in Safe Mode.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 djay72

djay72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Well windows works...but still have the pop-ups....running ad-aware right now....I am a little hesitant to run Malware bytes..only because of the above mentioned problem. Any suggestions.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Please explain more the pop ups (better description or screen shots are good).

I have never heard of MBAM doing anything malicious. It is my first choice for scans.

If you have the "userinit" problem seen frequently, MBAM (and perhaps others) may remove the malicious software but sometimes there is cleanup to do in the registry. The scanners do the best they can, but they can't always fix everything.

One userinit issue is so common, Microsoft even has a KB article about it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

That situation causes threatening pop ups (scareware) and inability to login to Windows in any kind of mode.

The malicious software is clever, but easily outsmarted, then removed. Malware likes to attack the methods that keep you from removing it (Safe Mode, regedit, System Restore, etc.).

People end up losing data when they don't know how to outsmart the malware and resort to reinstalling/reformatting.

It is important to understand what is happening and fix it with certainty, not think it is fixed or that it might be fixed.

Edited by joseibarra, 22 September 2009 - 10:39 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Please run a quick scan with Malwarebytes. Don't remove anything it finds, just post the log.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users