Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezes during iPod sync

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skambale

skambale

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

I am having problems with the Windows XP Pro freezing up completely within moments of starting synchronization between iPod and iTunes.
The itunes version is 9.0 and iPod Touch is 3.1.1
The problem started happening when the iPod was initially upgraded to 3.1.1 and the upgrade process did not go through correctly and the iPod went into a restore mode. After that everytime i tried to restore/sync the iPod on this desktop PC the system freezes and the only way out is a hard reboot.

I am able to use the iPod on my laptop with the same OS - Win XP Pro on same iTunes verison 9.0. I was able to completely restore the iPod on the laptop and am able to synchronize it just fine. I though this might be an iTunes 9.0 issue but i even downgraded it to 8.x on by desktop PC but the freeze still happens when i start to sync.

I need some guidance to troubleshoot this issue. Right now i am clueless as to what to look for. I have even tried multiple USB ports but no luck.

System details
1G iPod Touch 16GB v3.1.1
Windows XP Pro
Core i7 920, Corsair 4GB DDR3 RAM, NVidia GForce 8800GT, Gigabyte UDR3 MoBo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

Greetings Skambale,

I might have an idea for you... Your situation somehow reminds me of an iPhone update issue that occurred here a month or so ago. I ended up digging in the bowels of the C drive to render a file unuseable in attempting to fix my problem. I just wonder if this could help you too.

Head to this page...
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

I realize it doesn't discuss your particular issue, but...

Check out the section that says:
>>If the issue is resolved by a new user

When a restore issue is specific to a user, it is likely due to an unusable .ipsw file. iTunes uses "ipsw" files to restore your iPod or iPhone. If those files are unusable, then try deleting them so iTunes can download a new copy of them. Creating a new user will also cause new .ipsw restore files to be downloaded in the new user. You can find the ".ipsw" files in these locations:<<

I would almost bet that a munged .ipsw file is what is causing you grief. You will note in that article that those files are kept here:

>>Mac OS X
iPhone: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
iPod touch: ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates (The tilde "~" represents your Home directory.)

Windows XP
iPhone: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPod touch: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates (If you don't see the Application Data folder, you may need to show hidden files.)

Windows Vista
iPhone: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
iPod touch: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates (If you don't see the AppData folder, you may need to show hidden files.)<<

I think, if I were you, BEFORE opening iTunes, I think I would head to the folder that holds the *.ipsw files. Look for the one that is dated on the day you had your first mishap in updating. I would rename the file, perhaps you could put an underscore _ in the place of the period in the files name. OR, move the file to another folder for testing. In fact, perhaps you could move any/all *.ipsw files to another holding tank folder while trying this. Start iTunes again and see how you do.

If the above works, could you confirm it here please?

Gammers
PS. I am not a "helper" here, just someone who recently had a kinda similar problem not long ago.

Edited by Gammers, 21 September 2009 - 03:35 AM.

#3 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Gammers,
Thanks for the suggestion. I did go through that post earlier but did not try it though. I will give it a shot. No harm in that.
The reason i am skeptical about this working is because the freeze problem is not related only to iTunes.

I recently built a new PC and this is the problem started happening since the first time i started using iPod/iTunes on this. Unfortunately it was also during iPod 3.1.1/iTunes 9.0 upgrade. So there were too many factors.

I am having some other random freezes but not that occasional.

The reason why i mentioned the iPod sync scenario is because the problem occurs with this activity 100% of the time. So i am assuming that this might lead me to the root cause

#4 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:53 PM

Greetings Skambale,

You wrote:
>>The reason i am skeptical about this working is because the freeze problem is not related only to iTunes.<<

Yikes, well you didn't say that my dear :flowers: How about uninstalling iTunes on that machine, doing as clean an uninstall as you can (look for clues at the Apple forums on how to do that.) Once the iTunes is off, what happens? Any freezing?

"If" the freeze happened for the first time (if I am understanding you well), and if it has happened "since" you installed iTunes, then I can't help but wonder if something to do with iTunes is causing you headaches. Mind you, since having installed iTunes on my husband's machine, there have been problems -- I "know" that it is the iTunes causing the headaches.

One of the things I do to assist my husband is to a) not permit certain things to access the internet when Comodo calls them out and :thumbsup: end certain processes in the Windows Task manager. The following are where I start.

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
iPodService.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
mDNSResponder.exe

IF you uninstall iTunes for your first trouble shooting work, I would make sure that the above are not still on your machine running.

Have you installed the latest graphic driver on your computer? How about acceleration, can you fiddle with that in this freeze thing? Maybe diddling with the acceleration could give you a clue? Many years ago, that was one of the troubleshooting tricks we (a team I worked with) found to be helpful. How about the latest mouse driver for your mouse? Odd as it seems, I have seen this type of thing resolve issues.

Keep me/us posted on this, okay?

Gammers

Edited by Gammers, 22 September 2009 - 05:53 PM.

#5 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

Oh Skambale,

You might want to Google: graphics card hardware acceleration freeze

At the following link, a person with a freeze (but not with iTunes mentioned) disabled hardware accelerator (graphics card) to resolve their freeze problem.

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/Online-Fil...ode_t63069.html

If dealing with iTunes and the graphic card (drivers, acceleration) and mouse (drivers) doesn't fix then, can you give some examples of what sets off a freeze?

Gammers

#6 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

Gammers,
I have done a complete uninstall of iTunes and then installed it from scratch. I even took out the folders and registry settings. So i dont think its a s/w level issue.

The thing is I cannot for sure say that the problem started happening since i started using iTunes/iPod sync. This is a newly built PC - 4 weeks old. So i would expcet a few issues but this one has left me tearing my hair out.
The reason why i mentioned iPod sync as the main issue is because I can reproduce that problem with iPod sync EVERYTIME i try it - 100% failure rate.

The other 2 scenarios i can say is
1. I am running a flash video on one browser and i open another flash video on a 2nd browser - seen that happen 2-3 times now - so yes, that may point to GFX driver - but that does not come into the picture at during iPod sync activity.
I have verified that my drivers are the latest for the GFX card. I dont see anything new from NVidia.

The reason why I want to rule out GFX card issue is i have played entire COD 4 game without a single hiccup during gameplay* (next note)

2. *There was once when I accidently closed the COD 4 game from Windows- so next time COD 4 opened it asked me to go into Safe Mode...when i did that and restored full settings in the game to highest resolution the system would freeze again. The only way to get out of this loop was to actually play the game in SAFE MODE (low res settings), quit in a normal manner and then play again.
NOTE - Not a single freeze DURING game play - hence i rule out any GFX card issues.

Now, i have some ideas that i want to try next
1. This could be an impedence mismatch between the USB port and iPod cable and there must be a surge of current during iPod sync that might be freezing the system. I am going to try to hook up the iPod via a USB hub. Lets see. I need to try that still.

2. Just to avoid any USB devices conflicts i am going to move both my USB and Keyboard to PS/2 ports.

3. As per your suggestion upgrade Mouse driver.

4. Install Win 7 on a totally separate HDD - to eliminate any HDD issues.

Another question I have is - could this be an IRQ conflict? I checked the msinfo32 and i saw that there was a lot of IRQ sharing but nothing stands out as a possible conflict that might adversely affect the system.

This seems to be a very tricky problem which will require some out of the box thinking.

-Sharad

#7 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

This is what I was referring to - screenshot of msinfo showing Shared resources
Anything stands out?

Attached Files

#8 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Hello Skambale,

Checking in to see if you are any further along in resolving things? If not, perhaps some of the big guns will jump in to help you.

I haven't looked at issues of IRQ conflicts for years, so don't have any thoughts for you there.

When I was thinking of your situation, I had looked up some things elsewhere on the web -- particularly hardware acceleration. In a post elsewhere, there were a number of people discussing graphics driver etc. Oddly, they noted "Flash" in the mix of some of their freezes too. I wish I could find their postings again so that you could see if any of them helped you. :thumbsup: In some of their cases, I believe they went back to an older graphics driver.

Hmm...just wondering something. Does iTunes use Flash? I did find an article on Flash and hardware acceleration for what its worth. I also see the hardware acceleration in Flash being discussed elsewhere:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/ar..._player_05.html

Have you found the issue causing you problems yet?

Gammers

#9 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Gammers,
No luck towards resolving this issue.
There is one more scenario during which i am now having 100% failure rate - same issue. I recently installed Google Picasa 3.5 and when i was trying to import folder located on 2nd HDD, system will freeze again.
It has failed 3/3 times.

There is one thing i would like to note here - its pretty trivial, but may be not - when the system freezes and i cant even operate the mouse or keyboard i noticed that the mouse does not even have any current going to it. The LED is not lit.

Now i am getting inclined towards a faulty MoBo. I wrote to Gigabyte tech support but no response. I am going to talk to Microcenter to see whats their replacement policy.

-Sharad

#10 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

Gammers,
I think that the issue has been resolved. This is what Gigabyte responded with

Dear customer,
Mother board bios memory voltage setting is base on 1.5v ( default voltage ), please check current model memory voltage spec if it's higher then 1.5v, go in bios under M/B intelligent tweaker memory voltage control item adjust memory voltage to match memory voltage needs .
For example: current memory is 1.7v, go in bios M/B intelligent tweaker on memory voltage control item change to 1.7v, this will match the current model memory voltage spec, if sysetem still problem to post, swap out other stick memory on same slot test again, this can help to find out if one of the memory was not stable cause issue.

I did the same and i was successfully able to import folders into Picasa and finally able to sync iPod with iTunes first time on this PC.
Although it was a success I don't want to jump the gun here. I will wait for one more week to verify stability.

But signs look promising.

-Sharad

#11 skambale

skambale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

I consider the problem as resolved now, after the above mentioned fix!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users