Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what I have!! [Moved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 rrochell8

rrochell8

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

My daughter was running around on the internet and seems to have picked up something very bad indeed! AVG found it but could not remove it, so I went to my trusty Malwarebytes program, but it will not run more than 3 seconds. My desktop will not allow me to come to this site for help, so here I am on my laptop asking for your help once again. You all helped my awhile back with the antivirus xp 2009.

Once I run the Malware program and it stops, it then does not recognize the icon on the desk. I've tried burning a copy and renaming it during the install, but that doesn't work either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by rrochell8, 20 September 2009 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

Okay, so now I've been moved and I still could use a hand. I know you guys are very busy and I will wait patiently until someone can get to me...I will be at work most of the day, so I won't be able to reply until later this evening. Thank you all again for your help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:39 PM

Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.
  • Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
  • Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
  • If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
--------------------------------------

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Direct Download (Recommended)
  • Zip Mirrors (Recommended if you have a slower connection or if the Direct Download mirror is down)

• Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Riight-click on rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

----------------------------------

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

Okay....tried all the different ways of renaming various files and setup ext. Same result. MBAM will get all the way to scan and will scan for 3 seconds and then shutdown and the icon is no longer recognized. Since it is getting late and work will be early, I will try the rootrepeal tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

#6 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

Can't get the malwarebytes to work, nor can I get the rootrepeal to work...it (rootrepeal began to scan and then shut down just like malwarebytes. I'm not closer to solution...hopefully you guys here can offer up something else to try...thank you in advance.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

We have a few more tricks

1. Download Win32kDiag from any of the following locations and save it to your Desktop

http://ad13.geekstogo.com/Win32kDiag.exe

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/rootr.../Win32kDiag.exe

2. Double-click Win32kDiag.exe to run Win32kDiag and let it finish.
3. When it states "Finished! Press any key to exit...", press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
4. Double-click on the Win32kDiag.txt file that is located on your Desktop and post the entire contents of that log as a reply to this topic.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 rrochell8

rrochell8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:39 PM

ToRunning from: E:\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB932168\KB932168

Mount point destination : \Device\__max++>\^

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB933729\KB933729

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB943460\KB943460

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\TEMP\TEMP

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\TMP\TMP

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Config\Config

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Connection Wizard\Connection Wizard

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\UserMode

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training\WXPPer\Cbz\Cbz

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training\WXPPer\Lib\Lib

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI\Training\WXPPer\Wave\Wave

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\IME\IMEJP\APPLETS\APPLETS

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\IME\IMEJP98\IMEJP98

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\CLASSES\CLASSES

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\TRUSTLIB\TRUSTLIB

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\Bind Logs\Bind Logs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Minidump

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\MSAPPS\MSINFO\MSINFO

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\msdownld.tmp\msdownld.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\MUI\MUI

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\occache\occache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\ErrorRep\UserDumps\UserDumps

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BATCH\BATCH

Cannot access: C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES\helpsvc.exe

[1] 2004-08-04 05:00:00 743936 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\helpsvc.exe (Microsoft Corporation)

[1] 2008-04-13 19:12:21 744448 C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES\helpsvc.exe ()

[1] 2008-04-13 19:12:21 744448 C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\helpsvc.exe (Microsoft Corporation)

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\CheckPoint\CheckPoint

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\HelpFiles\HelpFiles

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\InstalledSKUs\InstalledSKUs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\DFS\DFS

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Temp\Temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Registration\CRMLog\CRMLog

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SECURITY\LOGS\LOGS

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\AuthCabs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\555558d2c7916b118ad5baef62b18136\backup\backup

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Registered\Registered

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\Deployment\Deployment

Cannot access: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\eventlog.dll

[1] 2004-08-04 05:00:00 55808 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\eventlog.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

[1] 2008-04-13 19:11:53 56320 C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\eventlog.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

[1] 2008-04-13 19:11:53 61952 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\eventlog.dll ()

[2] 2008-04-13 19:11:53 56320 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\logevent.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

[1] 2004-08-04 05:00:00 55808 C:\i386\EVENTLOG.DLL (Microsoft Corporation)

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\InstallTemp\InstallTemp

Finished!

ok some doing to get it here:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Now that you were successful in creating a Win32kDiag log you need to post it in our HJT forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Give a brief description and tell them that this log was all you could get to run successfully
The HJT team is extremely busy, so be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259939/been-working-in-am-i-infected-told-to-come-here/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users