Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista question before I buy a new computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chessie

chessie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to be buying a new computer soon. My husband recently got one and hates Vista. HATES IT BIG TIME :huh: :huh:

I have been looking around at different computers for purchase and every one that has what I want has Vista. I vaguely recall someone telling me once that I could have my c: drive repartitioned and put Windows XP on the new partition since I prefer XP. Does this sound familiar to anyone?? If so, have you done it and was it successful?

Thanks,
Chessie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pablo49

pablo49

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hey Chessie,
I think you are talking about creating a dual boot setup where you have two (or more) operating systems installed on the same partition. Here is a tutorial on how to create a dual boot machine. With creating a dual boot computer there is always a risk of corrupting the boot loader rendering both operating systems inoperable.
If you do not care for Vista and don't plan on using it, look for a computer with XP - yes I know they are hard to find. Dell Business Line will downgrade the computer to XP for $99.00. Since you are shopping for a new computer, see if you can find one that offers a free upgrade to Windows 7.

#3 chessie

chessie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Thanks...it would be nice if you could be given your choice when you purchase the machine.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

If you reside in the US, all new computers are available to receive a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade. You will get it when it comes out on October 22nd. So I would suggest buying your computer either now or until the 22nd, but the price for the computer then will be rather higher then it is now. What I would do is buy it now, save whatever documents or media you may have, back it up, and reformat for Windows 7 when it arrives.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users