Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

processor upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have Toshiba Satellite L25-S1192 laptop with a gig of RAM in it. It has 1.5GHz processor in it and I'd like to know how big of a processor I can put in it.
I have looked on the net and can't find an answer. Any help ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

You probably cannot replace the CPU. First, cracking open the case will void your warranty. Second, some laptops have the CPU soldered onto the the motherboard, making it very difficult, if not impossible, to replace them. Other laptops do use traditional sockets where you can replace the CPU, though it takes some work and if you make a mistake, your laptop becomes a door stop. I've heard of mods to certain laptop CPU's involving pin removal, but that is very advanced and prone to failure. Given the age of the machine, you may be better off simply getting a new one since you're most likely going to be limited to old, not the re-released, Pentium M (Dothan) models.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-M-735A-R...6QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-M-735A-1...p3286.m20.l1116

and you will never know the difference. The only difference between the Pentium M and the Celeron M is 2 vs 1 meg of L2. Speed is the same. There is no guarantee your motherboard's BIOS will even recognize a Pentium.

If it is just a fun project, have a go, but you won't see any performance increase.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

Thank you both for your input !!! I think now, I will just get another one instead of messing with this one !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users