Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2 firewall problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 librarylady

librarylady

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

I finally installed SP2 yesterday and had many problems with internet and email access. I talked to Microsoft for an hour (number provided on this forum by Enthusiast) and he had me uninstall SP2, run virus etc. scans, download update from Microsoft, restart in safe mode, and install SP2. I have Zone Alarm Security Suite and their site says that if I have their newest version (I do) that it will work with SP2 and only one firewall will run. This is not true. Both are activated and the only way I can get to the internet is to completely turn off ZA, not just the firewall. I don't want to do this, as I really like ZA's features. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

Try a different firewall. I sued to like ZoneAlarm too, but it just wouldn't play nice with something in my configuration, so I just quit using it. Sygate and Agnitum make nice free firewalls.. there are others, but these are the only two that I am familiar with.

What did the Microsoft rep have you do to make sure your system was clean? Run Microsoft's Anti Spyware?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:00 AM

Disable MS's firewall and stick with Z/A or download Sygate Personal Firewall; the Windows firewall only checks incomming packets, and ignores any outgoing pieces of information.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 July 2005 - 10:22 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 librarylady

librarylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

He told me to run a virus scan at housecall.antivirus.com but I couldn't download that. He also said I should use the ZA antivirus which I already have, Spybot, and Ad-aware SE personal. Not viruses were found because I had done this before the initial installation. The only way I can get internet access is to turn off ZA and use windows firewall. If I turn off the windows firewall and try the ZA, no access.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

As I said before, I can't use Zone Alarm with my system. Somewhere along the line, a patch began to conflict with it, so I was forced to uninstall it. It has nothing to do with ZoneAlarm being faulty., just that some configurations seem to mees with it. Try a different one. :thumbsup:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

Are you getting any alerts when you try to open a program that accesses the internet other than IE? Try to update Ad-Aware or Spybot with ZoneAlarm open.

Double click the ZA icon by the clock and go to Programs. I'm working from memory here but there are two tabs at the top. Look for Internet Explorer and make sure there are two green checkmarks, but not in the server column. Left click the X or ? if present and select Allow. There are also a couple of security areas with sliders that change your settings. Try lowering those, but just a little.

ZA incorporates an Internet Lock. Right click the icon and make sure there is no checkmark there.

To see if you are actually connected to the internet, go to Start>Run and type in:

cmd

In the black box that pops up type in:

ping www.google.ca

If you get a reply then your connection is good.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 librarylady

librarylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for your help. I do not get a reply from Google when I ping. The security slider position makes no difference at all. I am waiting for directions on how to clean uninstall ZA and then reinstall it. If that doesn't work I'll have to try another software. What do you use? I like the ZA automatic virus scans and email filtering but I guess those aren't absolutley necessary.
Also, I can't update Spybot and Ad-Aware with ZA open because I can't connect that way.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

Have you allowed for Spybot and AdAware to have internet access in ZonAlarm's program control?
Posted Image

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

You can uninstall ZA from Add/Remove programs and probably from Start>Programs>ZoneLabs or ZoneAlarm. When you reinstall choose the option to let it decide the programs to allow access to the internet (Configure internet access to allow web surfing).

If this isn't a paid version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite but rather the trial version just dump it and go with the free version.

I don't use a firewall, I have a router and monitor my internet connection with NetStat Live instead.

See: Getting Around the Control Center. Have you inadvertantely hit the Stop button?

Edited by Leurgy, 26 July 2005 - 03:59 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users