Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Painfully slow boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blue eyed devil

blue eyed devil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

Hello all, my first post here, and the way my laptop acts lately, it may be awhile before i'm able to post again, My issue is increasing boot times that seem to get longer by the day, it is common now for me to turn on, set the laptop down and go do something else, come back 20 minutes later, and still not able to do anything yet, especially to get online. I have tried all I know how (not alot), scans, registry utilities, defrag, ect and nothing seems to help. I am running an old corporate edition of symantec - could this be causing problems with my pc tools firewall? I sure need help before I dropkick this machine out the door - I'm a stumped novice, any help is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

Let's get some info first:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be
private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

I would not use any registry utilities right now.

Are you able to determine what version of Symantec stuff you have and do you know how to temporarily disable it to see if things improve?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 blue eyed devil

blue eyed devil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

Here is the info = and the symantec is full version 9.0.3.1000 corporate client nt

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP1
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 6000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1595 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 2/2/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name LAPTOP1\Joe
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 72.72 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#4 pacorocksyour

pacorocksyour

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

dont use any registry cleaners, if you have norton, everything is going to be slow, (sorry to say).
also maybe you have to much starting at system start?
start>run> type msconfig
disable things like reg cleaners, irc clients, etc.. (not important things)
also maybe your running to many programs at once, 512 mb ram isn't gonna cut it
good luck
:thumbsup:

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

That info is appreciated and saves a bunch of Q&A. I am starting to like that method of information request.

I do not use Symantec but looked at their Support section and with the 10.X Corporate Version, there are a lot of options that seem to be enabled by default that are going to slow any system down.

You may not need all the options enabled if you are working at home, or if you feel compelled to use all the protection features, accept that your system performance will be suffer.

I suspect Symantec as a contributor to your issue, but since I do not have it installed, I can't tell you how to turn it off entirely or just parts and pieces. They have a support forum, but I did not see a FAQ about "how do I turn all this stuff off to see if my system performs better".

I think Symantec has some good stuff and they have products for home and corporate environments. Personally, I would never use Symantec unless I was forced to (by Corporate).

If I was sitting in front of your system I would click Start, Programs, find Symantec and look through it to see what is enabled and decide if it is appropriate. Any kind of "real time" scanning, anything with "all files" or a separate Symantec firewall that conflicts with the built in Windows firewall. Two firewalls generally equals performance issues.

If you start messing around in MSCONFIG, you may get their eventually, but I am not a trial and error fan.

Turn some of the "all", "real time", settings in Symantec off, reboot, make sure they are still off and see what you think.

You could read the documentation, but I always save that part for last :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 blue eyed devil

blue eyed devil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I turned off all I thought I could, I have disabled it before it without much help, the Symantec has been on the machine for years and the problem seems to get worse by the day. Once things get up and running, all seems to be fine

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Okay - let me read your stuff again and think about it and maybe other people will have some ideas.

At the top of this forum is a sticky post about Slow Computer? which has some good ideas.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

512MB of RAM...Symantec anything...I suggest taking a look at what you have running at startup.

A good application for such: AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx, taking a look only at the items reflected on the Logon tab. I would also suggest that you initially just disable the startup items which are nonessential, rather than deleting/removing them. Disabling them has no impact on the actual program, it just neutralizes the registry entry or shortcut which triggers the item at boot.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users