Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redjeep

redjeep

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

So a few weeks ago i noticed that my computer would lock up occasionaly, couldnt use keyboard, couldnt use mouse it would just stay frozen. I would have to manually press the power button on the tower to get out of the lock. It would reload normally and things would be fine, this would happen maybe once a week. Well it started becoming more frequent and i thought my best course of action would be to just whipe my computer clean and use the operating system disc to return the computer to its manufactured state and start all over again. Well loaded all my programs back onto the computer updated everything under the sun and got my computer back to where it was before the restart. Well it seemed to work, however whenever i jump onto WorldofWarcraft it still tends to lock up after a few minutes of play. Any ideas as to why? I have been playing WoW on this computer for about 2-3years now so i know its not a compatibility issue. I'm doing a disk defragmentation on both my C and D drives..not sure if thats gonna help or is the problem.

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Addition
Service Pack 3

Gateway
Intel Core 2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86Ghz
1.86Ghz .98GB of Ram

Is there a program that will give more information to help you help me?

Edited by redjeep, 20 September 2009 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Overheating? That would be my guess.

The system works harder when gaming than probably any other time.

I just took a look at the data you supplied. I don't know if 1GB of RAM is sufficient to play very many games (not a gamer).

Louis

#3 redjeep

redjeep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thank you, money is tight right now so im gonna have to be ghetto and open up the computer to set a fan on it. see if that helps. Thank you for your response

#4 redjeep

redjeep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Ok so apparently its something else, i took off the side panel and stuck a giant fan directly on it and it still freezes whenever im playing a video game or watching any type of media. Any other thoughts?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

They would just be guesses...it could need cleaning, the power supply could be inadequate, etc.

I've already pointed out the RAM situation.

Louis

#6 redjeep

redjeep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Whats strange is my Graphics card box states "now with 1GB DDR2 Memory" So im assuming thats suppose to be added to the .97GB of Ram i already have on the system but it isnt showing. I sent the Graphics Card back to the Manufacturer to get a new one and hopefully that will fix it. On that note, now that iv removed the Graphics Card my computer has not froze when i play video's...maybe it was the Graphics Card issue?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Since I don't game, I don't know the relationship between video RAM and system RAM.

But I do know that the system doesn't like to be taxed when it has a limited amount of RAM.

Various activities stress the system RAM...examples would be rendering video files, using MS Office, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users