Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a computer recovery, backed up files cannot be found...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chepler84

chepler84

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hello to all,

OK....recently I was infected with something that I simply was not able to recover from. I ran a system recovery (provded on my HP) that backed up my files and reset XP. However, I cannot find where it stored my files. I know the files are still there somewhere because I have 108GB used space on my 176GB capacity hard disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you.

chepler84

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

Try downloading and running WinDirStat. It will let you see where the 108GB is located, since it all likely within a singe parent folder.

#3 chepler84

chepler84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

I think I might be in trouble. After running the WinDirStat it suggests that I've actually got just 19.4 GB of used space. Unless I'm reading this wrong, I'm afraid my "backup" did nothing more than clear the hard drive altogether...

#4 chepler84

chepler84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

I've made a new discovery that I stumbled upon while virus scanning my computer. From what I can gather my backup created a folder titled C:\USERDATA. I noticed this when I saw some of my old file names in the scan. However, when I try to open this file is says that C:\USERDATA is not accessible and access is denied. Also the folder properties states that it contains 0 files and 0 bytes. I'm quite confused so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

You probably just need to take ownership of the C:\USERDATA folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users