Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pci sound card installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:32 AM

I have a dell with intel integrated audio, which i think means that the audio is right on the motherboard. I want to install a sound blaster 24 bit pci sound card into my computer. NOW for my question. CAN I JUST UNINSTALL THE DRIVERS FOR THE INTEGRATED AUDIO AND INSTALL THE PCI CARD AND INSTALL THE DRIVERS FOR IT WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE INTEGRATED AUDIO? I am asking this question because I do not think I am experienced or confident enough to go ripping components off of my computer's motherboard that costed me 1000 dollars. Is there an easy solution to my problem? If anyone has any suggestions please post and thank you.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

Yes you are correct you have onboard sound. First get into your bios and disable the onboard sound. After doing that then uninstall the driver for it. Restart windows and if it does not detect the onboard sound card you have been successful. Then power down and install your new sound card and load its drivers.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:00 AM

To remove drivers I just go into add or remove programs, right?

But will you please explain about going into the bios and disabling the card.

thanks

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#4 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:28 AM

ok, i figured out how to get into bios. just continually tap f2 whenever the system is booting. so, i disable the onboard sound card from there, i haven't really checked but i am assuming it will be listed under the intergrated motherboard components.

Then, do i just go into control panel and add or remover programs to remove the drivers?

And is that all i need to do to complete uninsallation of the onboard sound card.

#5 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

sorry, but one last question.

Since my computer has the onboard audio, will i need to purchase the wire that connects the sound card to the cd-rom separately or will it come with the sound card.

#6 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:11 AM

disreguard my las question, i found out that windows xp does not require a cable from the cd drive to the audio card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users