Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Member - MSMSGS - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vitogee

vitogee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:23 AM

Hi I am a new member. I was impressed by some of the answer I saw and the help that was given so I thought this was the best place to come with my questions/problems.

Every once in a while I go through my Windows Task Manager Processes to see if there is anything new or funny running. Usually I google the suspicious file name only to discover it is perfectly OK.

Well I am getting a lot of confusing info about MSMSGS. One of the things that concerns me is the file MSMSGS.EXE-0620E8B3.pf

For the record:
Windows XP Home
I run Norton AntiVirus 2005, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware and Microsoft AntSpyware. All with current definitions

If it is just windows messenger, which I do not use, how how can I stop it from starting up? It is not in my program list. Better yet, how can I uninstall it? I do not show it as an installed Windows component.

Thanks in advance.

Vito

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

MSMSGS - Windows Messenger utility. If you don't use Windows Messenger, this can be annoying. Available via Start -> Programs. Go to Windows Messenger > Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts"

To uninstall it:
Click Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs /
Click Add/Remove Windows Components
Uncheck Windows Messenger, then the Next button, and follow directions
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 vitogee

vitogee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:53 PM

Thanks TG,

The problem is when I go to start/all programs, windows messenger does not show up on the list of programs. When I go the control pannel to remove the windows components the windows messenger box is not checked.

HOWEVER, If I go to the program folder there is a sub-folder for MESSENGER. Ran msmsgs.exe from that folder. It runs Windows Messenger (ver 4.7.3001). I did the tools/options/preferences but there is no "Run this program when Windows starts"
box.

These are the reasons for my concern.

Thanks again for your help!
Vito

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

Try running these online scans, just in case it's not Windows Messenger:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

Still asuming it is the Messenger, you can go to Start>Run, type msconfig, then click the startup tab on the far right. You can search the list for any programs you don't want running at startup. Then unclick the check box, click ok, and the things you unchecked won't start on your next reboot.

Be careful when doing this, because some things listed in msconfig can prevent the computer from starting if disabled. Just make sure you know what you're disabling.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

MSMSGS.EXE-0620E8B3.pf

That looks suspicious to me. According to this site a .pf file can be used to defeat a firewall. Do you have a router?

I'd suggest running a-squared to look for a trojan.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 vitogee

vitogee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the help. It does not appear to be a virus. None of the scans show it as a trojan or other virus.

The good news is that after trying several of the suggestions it no longer shows up.

Thanks again.

Vito

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users