Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a Sata Hard Drive...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

I am hoping that someone can help me with another hard drive I have that I want installed. I have a Sata hard drive that I need put into my computer. I have two other hard drives, C and D drive already on my computer. My brother in law was trying to install it for me and the sata drive is still plugged in but for some reason he could not get it to work. I know it is a working drive. I know my brother in law was trying to fix Raid for me. I am not sure where he left off because he doesn't tell me anything that he does. I just know that he has my drive plugged in still but it is not being recognized.

I am running windows XP service pack 3

Thank you in advance for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

As far as raid, first you need matched drives. Then either your mobo needs to support it (this is considered a software raid). Or you need a Raid controller card.

Concerning the new drive not working. Have you gone into Disk Management to make sure it shows up in there?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:06 AM

To elaborate on Thunders post. While holding down the Windows key (key between the CTRL and ALT) press the "R" key that should bring up the run box. then type diskmgmt.msc. See if you drive is listed as either unallocated space or as an un formatted drive (file system type will be blank). If its listed as unallocated space you need to Format the drive. You want to select the NTFS file system and be sure NOT to make it a dynamic drive.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Rheanun

Rheanun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hello again. I looked under the disc management and it isn't even showing up on there at all. Could the problem be my virtual drive at all? I was just wondering if that might have something to do with it?

#5 ruel.mateo

ruel.mateo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

how about opening in it BIOS or in the RAID controller at startup [before going into Windows]. You should see new drive, and make it part of the RAID system if thats what you want.
is it software RAID or Hardware RAID anyway?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

FWIW: Not sure what "matched drives" might be, probably something from the past.

You can use two different sized drives made by two different manufacturers and the RAID will just default to the size of the smaller drive. If I set up a 40GB and an 80GB in RAID0, the two drives will be reflected as a 80GB drive. If I set up a RAID1 with the same drives, the two drives will be reflected as a 40GB drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Louis

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

FWIW: Not sure what "matched drives" might be, probably something from the past.

Both the same interface. Both the same RPM. Preferably same R\W times and same capacity. These will all work in maximizing RAID performance and not wasting resources. Example, hard drive space.

In cases like this we do not know the knowledge of the OP, or in this case the level of the person assisting him. Thus the reason for my statement.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

No problem :thumbsup:, I just wanted to clarify based on my own limited experiences with RAID setups (hardware).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users