Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Restarts. Please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carmined187

Carmined187

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

My computer constantly restarts by it's self. I thought it was a virus so i just tryed reformating it and it still does it, like in the middle of setting windows up and somtimes it wont even get that far. i'v reformated this computer many time and i can't figure out what it is. It even restarts while i'm in the bios, i think it a heat probem because thats the only time i ever remeber my comp restarting for no reason. the thing that makes me doubt this is it's like 60 degrees in my room and the AC is allways on. i'v checked everything but processor and power supply. if anyone has any idea's please let me know.

(spec)
AMD 2500+
ATI 9800
Thermaltake Purepower 420
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS 512 3200 x3
Audigy gamer 2
Western digital 120GB

Installing windows XP Pro

Edited by Carmined187, 25 July 2005 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:26 AM

With the power off , unscrew the fan assembly off the top of your heatsink on your processor and check to see if dirt is packed in the cooling vanes. Just ran into this problem the other day on one of my customers computer. If it is dirty blow it out with compressed air. If not dirty I would suspect the power supply.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#3 Carmined187

Carmined187
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

yea i have done that i took everything appart and cleaned everything of dust. what do you mean it could be the PS you think it could bead dead? i'v never run into a problem with my power supply should i just buy a new one?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:43 PM

I think he means the power supply could be going bad. One way to check to see if its heat related is to take off one of the side panels for a day or so and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know its a heat related issue.

#5 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Yes I meant the power supply could be starting to breakdown. Absolute best way to test is to substitute a known good power supply. Follow Grinlers suggestion first about removing one of the side panels first. I f problem still there with panel removed the power supply would be the problem. While you have panel off observe the CPU fan to make sure of its proper operation. If it halts and stutters that would cause this problem also.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users