Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sick Toshiba

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaCarlton

PaCarlton

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hello

I had a Toshiba Satellite laptop given back to me at work last week. The machine is just over a year old and runs Vista Home Premium with 2GB RAM.

When I was given the machine it was obvious that it was in a very sick state with multiple problems reported at bootup with the operating system. I decided to do a recovery but discovered that there was nothing accessible on the disk.

I was then left with the option of doing a clean install from disk. I had a disk from a Dell machine and so I used this. Eventually I got it installed though I am still not happy with the state of the computer.

Question 1. What is the best utility to use to discover what problems I have with RAM and the hard disk so that I can tell if I should replace either of them?

Question 2. (I am using another laptop at present so I can't tell you exactly what the screen is). From the Vista Welcome Centre I go into a screen which gives me a summary of what the computer is. However, in the logo on the right hand side it appears to be identifying the laptop as a Dell, not a Toshiba. How can I remedy this?

Question 3. On another Toshiba that I bought recently there is a utility which sits in the tray and notifies me when updates are available for drivers, Bios etc. What is the name of this utility and can I download it from the Toshiba site?

I apologise that my questions are a bit jumbled but I hope that some of you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

What you managed to do is actually quit amazing. The install you did was never intended for the machine that you did it on. The fact that the machine was even able to start is really something.

I would contact Toshiba and request a restore and drivers\utilities disk for your make and model. I would then hand the bill for what ever costs you may incur to who ever it was that left your machine in such a state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users