Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This a Good Deal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

I was in the market for a new gaming computer, and was told that having a custom quote done was cheaper than buying a pre-built. Since i don't have to get anything unnecessary. A friend of mine was doing the same thing and recommended Lan Labs.

Here are my specs
# Antec Three Hundred Mid Tower Case

# Asus M4A79 Deluxe AM2+ AMD Motherboard

# AMD Phenom II X4 940 Quad-Core Processor (3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache 125W)

# 8GB Corsair DDR2 800 PC2 6400 (4 x 2GB) Memory

# (2X) ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB GDDR5 256-bit PCIe 2.0x16 Video Cards

# Western Digital 500GB 32MB SATA 3.0GB/s Hard Drive

# Corsair 750W Power Supply 80 PLUS Active PFC

# 22X DVDRW SATA Interface

# CPU Cooler

# Windows Vista Home Premium

# 75-in-1 Card Reader

# 24" Hanns-G 2ms Widescreen 15000:1 LCD Monitor

# Build and Burn In Testing in our ISO Rated Facility

# One Year Warranty

# Free LanLabs Remote Support

# LanLabs "Last Computer You Will Ever Buy" Coverage

This will all cost me $1,779.99, Is this a good buy? Or and they way over charging me?
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Spec wise I built the same rig as yours on Newegg and total price was $1,397.

Also, you aren't really specific as to what the exact parts in the computer are, EG: That hard drive, Western Digital has lots of HDD's with the same specs but they have different models.

And honestly, if I was you I wouldn't go with that computer, I'll suggest you something alot better now in a minute. It'll be cheaper too so I'll keep it under that budget of $1,780. Using Newegg here.

Here is the Intel i7 build.(I own pretty much the same rig and I love it), just realised I forgot to add the PSU in this. This psu would be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-006-_-Product
Posted Image

For a PII you could go with this.
Posted Image

Both would serve you very well, if you want to save the pennies the PII is the better buy, if you can put the money to the i7 it's better. You can swap the GPU for something else, I have the 275 and upgraded it from a 4870 not long ago and I like it alot more. There is also the new 5000 series ATI coming out(pretty much out now), so far they look amazingly good, if you budget could stretch to one of them whenever they come out, I'm not sure on prices though. But I'd say around 300$ to start.

For now though a ATI 4870/4890 or Nvidia 260(core 216 model)/Gtx 275 would be more than enough. If you want to go higher end wait for the 5000 series.

Whatever you decide to do, that computer in your OP isn't a good deal.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Also i had heard that ATI Graphics cards and AMD processors provide the best gaming experience is that true?
Also since i definitely wont be going with the Lanlabs site; would Newegg be the site you would recommend?

EDIT: It looked like the pics you posted would be for building the computer (i could be completely wrong). I went ahead and did a small search on the Newegg.com site and found this Gaming Computer except for the graphics card and processor it looked to be the better of the two for around $400 dollars less. Granted i would have to buy the monitor separately, but i don't see that being $400 dollars. Also I've heard good reviews of IBUYPOWER.com

Edited by Bassplayer15, 20 September 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Also i had heard that ATI Graphics cards and AMD processors provide the best gaming experience is that true?

The chip manufacturer is completely unrelated to the performance. There are some AMD processors which are more powerful than some Intel processors and vice versa. Same goes for Graphics cards.
I will say, though, that going AMD and ATI will save you money.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

EDIT: It looked like the pics you posted would be for building the computer (i could be completely wrong). I went ahead and did a small search on the Newegg.com site and found this Gaming Computer except for the graphics card and processor it looked to be the better of the two for around $400 dollars less. Granted i would have to buy the monitor separately, but i don't see that being $400 dollars. Also I've heard good reviews of IBUYPOWER.com

Yes, you have to build it yourself in the pics I posted.

And that link you posted that computer isn't better than first pic I posted, the i7 920 is better than the i7 860, the i7 860 uses dual channel RAM not like the i7 920 which uses Triple Channel Ram and a few other things which make it better.

Not to mention the RAM manufactuer/mobo name isn't said, so it's hard to say if it's gonna be some crappy brand that's well known for failures. It does have more RAM eg: 8gb compared to the 6gb of the first pic I posted, but you won't notice the difference from 6GB to 8GB, even 4GB is enough for most people for dual Chanel CPU's I'd suggest 4GB. And 1 major thing, what PSU is in it?:S The only review it has isn't good.

Pros: was nice and quick setting up
Cons: Got it yesterday and had a memory issue where it would blue screen when i was installing anything like drivers. And whenever i started a game program it lost all power within 10 minutes and rebooted.

Also the GTX 285 is better than a 275, but you could change the card in the pics I posted to an 285 aswell... but honestly I don't think the price of the 285(120$ more than the 275) is worth it. But you could get it if you wanted.

Here is a good build alternative. 1,303$ really it's about 1,260$ with rebates.
Edit: Blah! what is up with me lately -.- I must be tired or something, I forgot the HDD. Use a WD Black or Samsung F1.
Posted Image

Edited by IrishGrimReaper, 21 September 2009 - 11:40 AM.

|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#6 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

Okay first off thanks again for all your help (you've probably saved me quite a bit of time and money). But is there anyway on that newegg site that i could just put all the equipment you suggested in a computer, or is it really worth it just to build it myself? I know there are guides and such on how to do it but i don't want to break any equipment.

#7 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Okay first off thanks again for all your help (you've probably saved me quite a bit of time and money). But is there anyway on that newegg site that i could just put all the equipment you suggested in a computer, or is it really worth it just to build it myself? I know there are guides and such on how to do it but i don't want to break any equipment.

Honestly friend! This question gets asked so how much, and the answer is always the same. It's simply the easiest thing to do, just take your time at it. And you can't go wrong, the only thing I will draw your attention to is when your putting the CPU in, on one of the corners of the CPU there'll be like a small triangle mark(very small) that you have to match with the corner of the socket on the motherboard. Here is an example.

The corner circled on this CPU in this pic.
Posted Image

That marking must be in the corner of the Mobo socket indicated in red circle.
Posted Image

That's all you could do wrong, unless you mishandle the parts. There is so many guides and videos out, you don't even need them to be honest. Aslong as you take you time, take hours if you like! Just go slow and you won't break any equipment, I'd say this to everyone; with the amount of money you can save on a computer by building it yourself you should do it ASAP. You'll laugh at how easy it is in the end.

Here is a video on the building process, it's really as easy as it looks!

Also, if you plan

#8 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the help I think ill definitely build my computer (possibly for just the bragging rites :blink: ). I'll probably choose the first rig you posted, maybe changing a few things.
Thanks once more for all your help.

#9 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

No problem buddy! Post bad and let me know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users