Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

Ok I recently had to do a clean install of XP Home. Before the clean install the network was running great between 4 computers. 3 running XP Home and 1 running 98se. The 98 computer is basically a print server with a Black Laser and a Color Laser printer. Before this clean install i had my computer networked to all the other computers and file sharing between them worked perfectly, I could also print off the 98se computer with no problems whatsoever. After the clean install my computer will not find any of the other computers on the network. It of course also will not find the 2 printers either. The other computers on the network still communicate great together and can print off the 2 printers with no problems. I have tried the xp home network setup and have created the floppy disk for the home network setup on the 98se computer. All the NIC's are functional and are installed correctly. All the computers are connected through a 8port Netgear Hub. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:48 AM

After the re-install did you make the computer part of the old WORKGROUP like before? Also, I would give the re-installed PC a unique computer name and different that it was before (in case the other computers have stored some identifying feature of the old install by that name). That's probably overkill (the different naming) but that's how I would do it.

Have you tried sharing something explicitly from the newly reinstalled one and seeing if the others could see it?

New idea. The Netgear device; it's a 'dumb' hub or is it actually doing routing? Might be that you'll need to get into the administrative console and make sure the router is permitting the 'new' machine based on MAC address and new name, etc. Before you check in the console you might also check and see what IP address the clean install PC is being given.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users