Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Logon problems after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zline

Zline

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Greetings All:

Here’s another in the long sad list of virus infections stories:
My Gateway GM5088 with XP Media Edition was infected with Win32/virut. I have used numerous removal tools including: Defender, the AVG Virut removal tool, Super-anti-spyware and Malewarebytes.

Now when I turn on the computer it seems to boot normally but the instant the desktop appears a windows box pops up that say “Closing Network Connections” and then “Shutting Down” after a few seconds a windows logon box appears with the options to Restart, Shutdown, Hibernate, etc. The same thing happens when I try to enter via SafeMode.

I have tried to use the Recovery Console but after entering Fixboot it says it cannot find the partition however when I hook the drive up to another computer I can see all the files. Is this drive a lost cause or is there a way to logon?

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

<<Is this drive a lost cause or is there a way to logon?>>

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/MICR...15418su31.shtml

If...you really have the XP Recovery Console installed...and you actually accessed it and tried to run the fixboot command...I don't understand that. In order to even get to the XP Recovery Console, the system must recognize an existing XP install.

If the system/Recovery Console recognized the install...I guess that I don't understand how the fixboot command could fail to identify it.

In any case...try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console.

After that completes...try running the fixmbr command.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users