Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RootRepeal can't download

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hans19

Hans19

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

When i click to save RootRepeal.exe i get a popup box stating:

"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disc"

Had no problem with dds.scr download.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

Right-click on Rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr and retry
If that doesn't work, select just Drivers to scan
If that works , let the HJT team know I had you rename it to that

Edited by garmanma, 19 September 2009 - 04:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Hans19

Hans19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

Right-click on Rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr and retry
If that doesn't work, select just Drivers to scan
If that works , let the HJT team know I had you rename it to that

Problem solved by temporarily shutting off 2009 Norton Antivirus -Auto protect
NORTON reported this as "Suspicious. MH690.A" Threat type: Heuristic Virus
I was able to download -have not installed yet

originally i could not download the following from the bleepingcomputer website Rootrepeal.exe or tatertot.scr (followed your directions)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
above page Item 7 directs me to download RootRepeal
I click the RootRepeal Download Link and get Figure 8: Download RootRepeal Prompt
click save -download commences but stops before down load is completed to my computer- a popup comes up stating:
"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from the source file or disc" Windows popup not Norton

I don't understand what you mean by "If that doesn't work, select just Drivers to scan" From what application?

"moved your topic to another forum that would be best suited for its subject matter." I don't understand!
I was on the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum-downloading tools so i can post a log to the Hijackthis forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
I was following the instructions from the
Under Forum Guidelines
"Read this topic before posting a log." LINK
What does this have to do with the Am I infected? What do I do?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

If you post in the HJT forum without any logs you get moved to the Am I Infected forum where we help you with downloading and running the needed scans

When you open Root repeal you are asked to select Drivers, Files, Processes, SSDT, Stealth Objects, Hidden Services, and Shadow SDT.
Just select Drivers only

If you cannot get it to work, just post in the forum and be sure to include the DDS scan
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users