Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc keeps shutting down unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

I am running window XP sp3 on a ASUS P5N E-SLI motherboard. I am using a single nvidia 8600 GTS video card 2GB OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum rev2 memory I have a brand new Ultra SLP650 power supply. Lite on dvd burner and a seagate 160 gb hard drive pentium D 940 3.2 LGA 775 65nm nforce 650i chipset
When I play older games like Arcanum and Diablo2 I am able to play for hours uninterrupted, same as when I go on the web - but after a few minutes of running GuildWars or Bioshock my machine just dies.
I am able to restart right away , I get no error messages and according to the monitor in the bios the CPU temp is running at 64 degrees Celcius.
I ran memtest 86 and got no errors- I ran seatools (long tests) for my hard drive and found no errors.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?
I checked and have the latest drivers for the card and windows is up to date.

sorry if this is the wrong forum in case this belongs somewhere else.

I ran cpuz and it said memory SPD was 5-5-5-15
when I put memory timing settings on auto they set to 5-5-5-31
the memory has a sticker on it that says 4-4-4-15 but should I set them to SPD 5-5-5-15

Edited by genthore, 19 September 2009 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

When your machine dies do you get a BSOD or does it just automatically reboot?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

no bsod- the machine just shuts off like someone pulled the plug and I have to power back up- which it does no problem

I am able to play Unreal Tournament Diablo2 and other older games no problem - but GuildWars will only stay on for a few minutes and then it shuts off- same with Bioshock

my first guess was a video card issue but I am not sure - I am sure the drivers are all up to date

I have most BIOS settings on auto - perhaps I need to tweak something- I have no clue

Edited by genthore, 20 September 2009 - 09:19 AM.

#4 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

I am taking suggestions- anybody got ANY ideas what could be causing the problem please post it - I wont necessarily DO everything suggested but I am at the end of my rope and dont have any other ideas. Thanks again

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

See thermal spec, http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL94Q#.

Louis

#6 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

I am embarassed to admit it but it was a rookie mistake that was causing my problems.
Thanks to the link Louis provided above I realized that I forgot to put thermal paste on the heatsink and had the side cover off too which was killing the design efficiency of my case. I applied some paste replaced the case fans with new 120mm fans and the cpu is now running in the low 40's after gaming for 15 minutes.
I should have known - Pentium D processors are prone to have thermal issues
Thanks to those who replied - I appreciate your time and effort.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Thankfully the problem is solved. Its always the small stuff that screws us up. You learned from your mistake and won't make it again hopefully. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users