Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drives have power, but windows xp not detecting them, connections been checked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ozzmosisx

ozzmosisx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

Im having an issue where my 2 dvd drives do not show up under my computer and do nothing when a disk is inserted. i have disconnected the reconnected all cables associated with the drives and that didn't help. i then inserted the windows disk and rebooted and booted from cd and it read the disk, so the drives do work. when i go under device manager both drives have an exclamation point by them and when i click on it under device status it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)". I reformatted my computer a week ago and i installed norton 360 after the reformat with a cd. so it was working at one point. i just noticed the problem today but i haven't used any cds since the reformat. so i dont know how long this has been going on. i have attempted a system restore to right after the reformat and several other points, but i get an error that the restore could not be completed. my computer is a homebuild. about a year and a half old windows xp home edition service pack 3 intel core 2 quad q9300 @ 2.50 ghz 2 gigs ram nvidia 9800gtx 512mb any help hould be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

if you just added the second dvd drive and they are on the same channel are they configured correctly. one as master and one as slave ?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:10 AM

Are the drives IDE or SATA. If they are SATA you need to load the SATA/Raid driver for your motherboard or tell the raid controller in your bios to use IDE emulation mode.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users