Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on S.M.A.R.T. in BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

My PCs mainboard is a KT4V MS-6712 (v1.X) ATX Mainboard version 1.0 G52-M6712X1. It is an old PC 7yrs or so but it does me admirably for what I need it for. I bought the complete PC from Multivision Computers with a 5yr guarantee, 2yrs in house and 3yrs ex house. Unfortunately about 18yrs after I bought it Multivision went bust. Fortunately it has proven to be a good buy and I have never had a problem with it.

The first time my PC was reformatted my son did it and when it was all finished I noticed that although everything worked ok the start up procedure was changed slightly. A few years down the line I am more PC aware and I came across the following article. http://www.bosamar.com/KT4V/KT4V-L.html
Of course I found it very interesting and had the confidence to understand enough of it to reset a couple of my BIOS settings which seemed sensible to me. On rebooting my PC the first thing I noticed was that now there was an extra page in the reboot process which as soon as I saw it the first time reminded me that this was what had been missing since the first reformat by my son.

The article also mentions something called S.M.A.R.T. My Bios also has this function but it is turned off and it was a step I was unwilling to take without further advice so I left well enough alone. Last week I was reading an article and it stated that in mainboards with the SMART function it was a very good idea to have it switched on. Can anyone tell me what this function does and is it a good idea to switch it on?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

SMART, if both the hard drive and mobo support it monitors the health of your hard drive(s). Sort of an early warning system to prevent data lose should the hard drive start to fail.

It is not 100% fool proof. It is possible for a hard drive to suffer am immediate or catastrophic failure. In cases such as this SMART will not help. Neither may it detect a slow oncoming failure.

Will it hurt to enable it. No. If your hard drive does not support it then the BIOS will probably say so. Even if your hard drive does not support it but you do not get any message it will not hurt.

At worst it may add a second or two to your start time while the check is run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users