Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP boot failure after Ubuntu linux installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheProblemMaker

TheProblemMaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

My original topic here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1269836
I believe this belongs in the XP forum, as it is an XP startup related issue. (If not, move it to Linux please)
IMPORTANT QUESTION: Will I be able to use an XP home CD to recover XP Media Centre?
------------

[URGENT] - ALL HELP GIVEN IS APPRECIATED
Hey,
I've just installed Ubuntu desktop edition 9.04 on a desktop computer.
The installation was a success, and Ubuntu can now be used as a fully working operating system.
BUT, when I try to load Windows XP (Media centre edition) from the GRUB option (I'm choosing the right option) it goes to the loading screen but then says something along the lines of "autochk not found - SKIPPING AUTOCHECK" followed by a Blue Screen of Death

[STOP c000021a{Fatal System Error} … 0xC000003a the system has been shut down]

The system is manufactured by Packard Bell, it's a good few years old.
(I would love to go in depth with its specs, but I'm not sure how on Ubuntu)

It has ~512mb RAM, a nVidia graphics card and an Intel Pentium 4 (I highly doubt that means quad core) processor from what I can find.

To modify the partitions, I used the ubuntu installer.

Thanks so much in advance!

Just to go over again in short, Ubuntu works, XP doesn't.
Oh, and half of the XP documents and settings files seem to have *vanished*

~Andy

P.S. I believe the version of Ubuntu I have installed and working uses GNOME.
I've tried using gedit to change a file in the grub folder to add a line 'unhide (hd0,1)' just above the root line. -Didn't solve the problem. I think it's to do with windows itself.

I thought the great community here could help me possibly more than ubuntu forums.

Edited by TheProblemMaker, 19 September 2009 - 06:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

No.

Media Center (MCE) is a variation of XP Pro.

I'm not even sure that you could use an XP Pro version to "recover" an XP MCE system, since I thought that all those systems utilize recovery partitions/CDs which have been prepared by the manufacturer of the system.

These recovery/restore CDs/partitions...are not the same as an XP install CD, since they contain programs, drivers, and other modifications which might have been put in by the manufacturer.

I could be wrong.

Louis

#3 TheProblemMaker

TheProblemMaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

No luck with recovery console, does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users