Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacOS, XP and Software Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NonTechyMan

NonTechyMan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

As my name suggests I'm the absolutely most Non-Techy Nerd that walks God's earth, which accounts for the following dumb questions.

I have a laptop which runs on Windows XP but have been looking for a super lightweight laptop that is capable of running applications like Dreamweaver & Photoshop.
A friend has recommended a MacBook Air which certainly has the spec I'm looking for but then I'm in a quandry re the programs I need.

1) I presume I would have to buy a new copy of Photoshop for Mac which could be expensive. Someone told me that Aperture is cheaper and just as good as Photoshop for retouching photos and creating photo-montages. Is that right?

2) Will WORD & EXCEL files I've already created under XP run on MacOffice, or whatever they call it?

3) Do I need a new copy of Dreamweaver too?

4) Do I still need Anti-Virus & adware proggies etc?

The MacBook isn't exactly the cheapest and if I've got to start buying new, possibly expensive, software for the bruddy thing, it throws my original budget way out of the window...............................

Would be grateful for any help anyone can give me......................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

Hey there Non Techy Mam.
I'll try helping you a bit but first you have to grasp the fact that Apple's OS, Macintosh, has very few similarities with MS Windows other than being software platforms. I've met and used both Windows and Mac and can say that both operating systems have their own strengths and their own headaches.

MacBook Air is a nice laptop using solid state technology rather than a hard drive for storage of data and programing. It will be running Leopard, OS X ( pronounced "OS Ten") 10.5.8, a pretty good update to Leopard. Older, refurbished, Apple Laptops, using G4 processors made by Motorola, IBM, or one of their affiliates, are a lot more robust and are pretty easy to learn Mac operating system for a lot less $$ with minimal or no warranty.

There are some great software tiles specific to Mac that are retail ware, shareware, freebie and
( good choice, in my opinion ) Open Source ware. Microsoft has written a Mac OS Office Suite very similar to MS Office for Windows, "Microsoft Office for Mac"( kind of a catchy title, don't you think ? ) Found on the "Mactoppia" web pages at Microsoft site.
Other office suites are availble, Apple's "IWork" is one choice for about $80. The word processor and spreadsheet, "Pages", and "Numbers", respectively, are fully compatible with Microsoft "Word"/"Excel". The Open Source office suite, "Open Office" ( @ http//www.OpenOffice.org ) is "freely distributed like free speech and free beer" and is also compatible to Microsoft Office and is FREE to use. Another , written in the Apple native Aqua language, "Neo Office" is based on Open Office and is also freely distributed.

If you can make an expensive copy of "PhotoShop" work for you so that it's not so expensive then you'll find PhotoShop works very well on a Macintosh OS. But if you're like a lot of us, PhotoShop is a luxury compared to eating regularly, paying rent/ mortgage, owning a car/truck, having a social life, etc. I would recommend an easy to use, Open Source proggie, "Seashore". Don't forget "I-Photo" with the "ILife" suite, sold separately by Apple.

It's sure bet that individual programs written for a Windows environment will not work on the different architecture that is the Unix shell to the Mac OS.

Because Microsoft's Windows OSs are pre-installed at the PC manufacturer's assembly plant(s) and Microsoft holds licensing to Windows thereby giving itself about 95% of the market share, Microsoft products will always be targets of malware and them that write the malware.
In 10 years, only a handful of malicious attacks have been written for Mac OS. That is not an excuse to become arrogant Apple owners. Make your own choice as to how vulnerable you'd like to be with your new Apple and new software. Anti-virus, anti-spam, other security and utility software titles are around, such as retail ware like Norton or McAfee products, shareware crossover "Avast" anti virus, and the Open Source gem, "Clam XAV".

Owning and using an Apple with Mac OS means you'll still have to do some maintenance, some security scans, and some regular tinkering with your computer to keep it running well. It's an Apple computer, not a perpetual motion machine. It can't walk your dog, brush your teeth, or scramble your eggs for breakfast. But, with a similar commitment to some simple, basic tech responsibilities as you have made with your PC, you can have some fun and productivity with your new Apple computer.

Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:03 AM

Another freeware program, a lot like Photoshop, is GIMP for Mac OS X.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 NonTechyMan

NonTechyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

Tkx Guys.....................
Lots of food for thought there and I need to delve into the various aspects of the PhotoShop equivalents you've offered. The main advantage I can see of the MacBook is it's 1,36Kg wieght offering a system that can power the applications I use. Most of the lightweight Windows systems seem to have an "ATOM" chip in, which the "experts" tell me will grind to a halt with Photoshop.......

Will go away and contemplate my navel for a while, not to mention all you've written......................

Will let you know what I decide..................

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

You're welcome, NonTechyMan.
You might also want to check out the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, for other substitutes of Windows programs, for Mac.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

:blink:
Great advice and a terrific link, tg1911.
There are many sites that showcase Open Source programing for Mac, however.
Open Source Mac ( www.opensourcemac.org ) is one such site
Mowhawke's Best of the Best Freeware and Open Source software collection ( www.digitaldarknet.net )
Pure Mac software is another good resource for retail ware, shareware, freebies, and many open source titles
( www.pure-mac.com )
I Use This Mac ( http//osx.iusethis.com ) another good place to look for Mac software
Apple Downloads ( www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ )
And many others, use you fave search engine.
Don't leave out a perusal of www,openoffic.org for office suite needs.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Also look into buying a refurb instead of new Mac. You'd save some money for 3rd party ram which you will need for ram hungry adobe apps. The refurbs from Apple have the same warranty as the new models.

If you have the Windows PS CS4 version you can transfer the license to use on a Mac. Call Adobe to set it up. With earlier versions you can't, you'll need to buy an upgrade instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users